Author Topic: Cane arrow sizing?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Cane arrow sizing?
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »
I think I made my cane arrows wrong. I made the bigger end of the cane for the nock and the smaller diameter for the foreshaft point. Is this wrong? Is it going to effect accuracy and performance of the arrow?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Cane arrow sizing?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »
 Uh-huh, It will fly like a Crazy arrow. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:40:04 pm »
Yep they are backwards. I bet most people on here did it in the beginning ;D I did anyways.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:21:17 am »
I think there are some cultures that set their cane arrows up that way.  If it flies well, shoot it!!!  ;)   
  Having the big end forward adds weight to the front of the arrow allowing it to straighten out faster after release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:36:39 am »
the first 2 dozen i put together, they were that way!  but i didnt tell anyone, lol.  i just took it as a learning experience.  the pieces i used for my arrows were pretty long, so the taper wasnt that much, if at all.  they shot well, but the ones i make now, seem to fly much better.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
The very first arrows I made from shoots were made with the thick end at the point.  This was how I was instructed from an on-line reference (shoot them in the direction like they were growing).....and you know what, they actually still worked pretty well...however, thick end forward worked a lot better.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:04:40 pm »
Flight arrows that are made from cane have been made with the small end forward.  It moves the center of balance to the rear of the arrow, when it starts arcing down, it comes down in a flatter arc so it goes farther.  That can be useful in flight shooting and war arrows, it doesn't do much good at hunting ranges.  Bill