Author Topic: Lilac and snowball trees  (Read 3597 times)

wood

Lilac and snowball trees
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »
I've always called them snowballl trees as the flower heads in spring look like snowballs or popcorn balls. They bloom right after the lilacs. I was trying to find out the real name of the tree and the best I could do is that it is a steril version of viburnum. When I found that out you can guess the things get "pruned" regular now. They make great arrows. The lilac growing next to it does just as well. Seemed to be a bit stiffer spined than the snowball of the same diameter also less pith.

Offline sailordad

Re: Lilac and snowball trees
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:59:31 pm »
i find lilac lacking
it needs to be fat to get a proper spine
i can get osier shafts that are much much thinner than lilac and still get my 45-55 lb spine a want
if i doo that with my lilac,the shaft is almost a half inch thick if not more
way to thick for me for arrows
i'll stick with osier until i can find a cane source ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

wood

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:37:00 pm »
I cut the lilac dead standing they are much stiffer. There are always branches that die off next to the house when they get crowded out. The green I use for the kids. I use 45-50.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:26:21 pm »
It can be dangerous using standing dead wood for bows or arrows. You are better off cutting them green and curing them properly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:04:58 am »
are the snowballs fragrant. if so its probably korean spice or carlessi , both viburnum. excellent shaft material. if the shafts are hollow , its a spirea.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »
...or Hydrangea paniculata grandiflora.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC