Author Topic: HUMIDITY!  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: HUMIDITY!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:13:07 pm »
There's a reason why osage and locust were preferred bow woods by the people living everywhere they grew, and it's not because of some mystical superiority in cast or power-it's all about that greasy oil in the wood that resists moisture.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
 My preferred wood is Osage and Ipe. I also keep my bows in the house in the AC. Right now the humidity is keeping me from finishing the tiller on 5 bows. Mostly because I don't want to be soaking wet while I do it outside.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »
It's only been floor tillered. That's what bent it. It's still green wood. I could get out the paint stripping gun but I'd have to do that outside.

That might be your problem. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:46 am »

My new elm/hick has lost it's zing.

How do you guys get around damp weather?

I really want to hunt with this stuff.

PD

Move to a drier climate, or make 'em out of osage  ;D

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 09:06:43 am »
If you live in a humid place, like me, Wales is just about the dampest part of the Uk, everything goes mouldy around here. Then best not to use woods like hickory that take in damp easy, use the bow wood that suits the environment, oily woods  are the best, ipe doesnt seem to take in water what ever the weather. I gave up on hickory. Once its took a set only heat treating will reverse it, not bending it back, this make it worse I believe. Halfeyes recipe is better than poly varnish too, poly varnish just seals it in
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......