Author Topic: Gluing on tip overlays and final tapering  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Gluing on tip overlays and final tapering
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:43 am »
Ok, I ripped down some antler for my tip overlays. Now I assume that I just make sure both surfaces are flat and clean,perhaps roughed up a little and glue and clamp? Also wondering about narrowing the tips some more. The tiller is complete and the tips are about 1/2. Can I narrow them a bit more without affecting the tiller? The bow is osage if it makes a difference. This is my first bow and I want to thank you all in advance for the help.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Gluing on tip overlays and final tapering
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:36:02 am »
Yes you can narrow them,just don't thin them to much,I usually take mine down to 3/16 or so.
 maybe a little smaller Anything passed the grove don't matter at all.  :) Can't wait to see it finished. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:50:07 am »
yes... you are going to want them pretty narrow I make mine a little less than 3/8ths wide.  On osage especially because if I don't there is a bunch of teeth-jarring handshock.  :)  Glue them up and cut your string grooves, shoot the bow... if the hand shock is too much for you narrow the tips and repeat...keep doing that till you get them down to where there is no hand shock.  :)  I usually leave the last 6 or so inches of my limbs stiff so it isn't ever a problem to narrow them after tillering.  Good luck on yours, remember to post pics when you are done!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:08:49 pm »
So if I narrow from around 6" to the tip it wont hurt the tiller?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »
depends on if it is already bending in that area or not.  I would go conservative on narrowing and just shape them out and shoot it first.   Post pics of it at full draw and the size of your tips. It will be alot easier to tell with pics.  :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:54:21 pm »
(...) I usually take mine down to 3/16 or so.
 maybe a little smaller (...)

Pappy you sure mean 3/16??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:44:25 am »
I just measured one of my older ones in my office and it is 1/4 at the groove and I usually go a little smaller now. I think that is fine,not much pressure there anyway and especially if you are using tip overlays.The one in my office don't have overlays.I never cut across the back even if I plan to overlay  it. :) :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:31:55 am »
Pappy, I've seen a few pics of your bows, but I can't recall a close up of your tips. May I request a visual representation of said finely done "Pappy-style tip"? Sorry, can't help it. I'm a "tip man."  :D
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:05 am »
Last night I laid the antler on the limb tips and to tell the truth I'm not sure I like the looks of it. What else do you guys like to use on osage?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
Here is the tips I put on the bow I built for Gary.There are some much better tip guys on here than I am,GregB and Shanon for 2 and several more.Look through the build along and I think there are some there. It will give you a better Idea of what you want them to look like. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:35:56 am »
Now those are pretty sweet looking Pappy. Maybe the antler I have will look better when I start working it down. Thanks for the pics.