Main Discussion Area > Bows

Power Wash the Bark Off!

<< < (3/5) > >>

duffontap:
Gordon,
This is a great time of year to start cutting white wood.  I just cut my first Oceanspray stave on Friday.  I've been keeping my eye out for good vine maple but haven't seen anything worth carrying out of the woods recently.  Is that 'god's valley' down near Nehalem?

Marlon,
120 rings per inch good enough?  Ha, ha.  Tight rings but it's just a limb.  It should make a nice bow though.  The really, old-school war bows were made from Yew boughs I'm told. 

Keenan,
I'm trying not to get caught shooting in public. :-[  It's coming back, but slowly.  I had a meltdown during the late archery season that forced me to quit hunting so I could find my shot again.  You know, like a Tiger Woods thing.

DanaM,
Hope you get a chance to try this. 

J. D. Duff

Dane:
JD, that is a pretty cool trick. I will have to drag my washer out and give it a go. I never wear rain gear when I use it, and get soaked totally. Good idea, :)

Dane

duffontap:
Dane,
You get a lot of splash-back with this method.   :o  You may want to give the rain gear a try. 

J. D. Duff

tom sawyer:
God bless America.

I wonder if soaking a log in a creek or pond for a month or so, would also loosen bark and make it easy to remove.

duffontap:
It probably would make it easier.  I know Torges is against putting bow wood in water (because the oils can be leached out I think) but I was pretty confident that the powerwashing wasn't doing any damage. 

Someone with a swimming pool will have to throw a couple logs in it to see what happens.

J. D. Duff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version