Author Topic: Beautyberry and some grapes.  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Parnell

Beautyberry and some grapes.
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »
Claude Van Order told me that beautyberry would do for arrow material.  I ran across a plant about a mile from my house, not hard to recognize one the berries start ripening and you can see the plant!  I'm glad I know what to look for if this is a viable material.

Anyone have any luck with this before?  Also, the grape vines were tangled around the plant and there are a lot of ripe grapes growing.
Don't want to eat anything without knowing if it's gonna send me to the ER first, though.

Are the beautyberries edible, and how bout the grapes?

Here are some pictures...

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Beautyberry and some grapes.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »
Beauty berry not(I don't think) and the grapes, if the ones in the first pic, look like fox grapes. I believe they are edible but very tart tasting. I know folks use them for wine or jelly.
  I have cut beauty berry for shafting but never used it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Beautyberry and some grapes.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:35 am »
beauty berry is edible but with caution as some people do get nautious from it. used in jellies quite a bit. ive tasted it and it wasnt great others love it. taste seems to be effected by location, more so than other plants. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct