Author Topic: All I see are bows  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

All I see are bows
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:35:56 pm »
I just got a shipment of 500 oak 4x4s that I use here at work for dunnage and shoring. I've been looking at the end grain on some of them and there looks to be a boatload of bows there! Just how good do these oak bows shoot? ;D
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: All I see are bows
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »
A properly designed oak bow will shoot just as good as any other wooden bow.  I have made a bunch of those from boards.  I would rather shoot a well designed oak board bow than a poorly designed osage, yew, or ipe  bow any day.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:30:08 pm »
Josh, I agree.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:58 pm »
The end grain doesn't tell you a whole lot except the type of cut of the board. I look at the edge grain and want straight tip to tip on the grain. I allow 2 run outs or run ups per limb.  Jawge
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:35:24 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline walkabout

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 01:24:45 pm »
oak will make a decent bow as long as the grain is good and you build it right, shorter bows made of oak can take a bit of set, but between 72" and 65" they take to bending well. of course my experience is with 1x2's so if you go wider with say a pyramid design you wont get so much set. oak makes a fine light in the hand 72" longbow, as long as you keep the tips narrowed . im still amazed at how light my longbow is