Author Topic: Toms Osage Turkey  (Read 9155 times)

Offline sander

Toms Osage Turkey
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:12:08 pm »
Pictures too big retry
Thanks for everyones great help a couple of months ago with various questions and problems
I was having.  Yahoo first bow done! Got the osage stave in 2002 and it sat in the corner allot.
I worked it down painfully slowly with a cabinet scraper while I learned from a book and this
site about bowmaking.  I have seen so many beautiful bows posted here and the many variations
have inspired me.  This bow measures 651/2 inches pulls 56 pounds at 28 inches.  Its backed with
black silk with turkey feather camo. Shot him years ago.  The feathers iridescence really come alive
in the sun.  I like the effect.  Shellac and tru oil finish.  Surprised with the zip of the arrows penetrated the foam block not much different than my compound bow. No noticeable handshock.
Handle is goatskin sealed with beeswax stitched with kangaroo lace. Arrowrest is deer antler with
goatskin on top and on the strike plate.  I can picture deer running through the fall woods its
just around the corner.  With your respect and thanks, Tom  alias sander

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NTD

Re: Toms Osage Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:20:52 pm »
Wow. amazing job especially for a first bow!  Looks great, keep it up.
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:27:57 pm »
WAIT A SECOND!  You cannot post those pictures without explaining how you got those feathers on the back of the bow!  That's just not fair!  That is downright amazing!  Youb certainly have my vote for most innovative finish.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:34:44 pm »
Nice...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 08:44:22 pm »
Very nice work.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:32:44 pm »
Outstanding Tom, very worthy of stalkin the deer woods....... I just know ya allready got #2 floatin in yer head ;D
rich

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
nice job hotshot  ;)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:53:08 pm »
I think I speak for everyone here when I say " :o"!!!
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:00:01 am »
If that's your first, I can't wait to see what your 100th looks like.  Amazing bow!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 01:37:42 am »
Very nice first bow.. wish my first turned out half that nice.   :) Got it bookmarked for August Self BOM fun too.  :) :)  Again great job man.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 02:23:32 am »
I agree with JW enlighten us to the feather mystic,Absolutely stunning!!Congrats
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 02:28:52 am »
I saw a bow that Dirty Dan built last year that had turkey feathers on the back. Very cool!!!  8)
  Nice bow Sander. Your patience has paid off!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AvidArcher

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:44:40 pm by AvidArcher »

Offline sander

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »
Thank you all for your comments I enjoyed reading your enthusiastic supportive words.  As for as attaching the feathers: I hadn't seen a feather backed bow so I did some experiments.  Originally I was going to use barred turkey wing feathers which would also be cool, those feathers seemed too thick and are hollow they seemed to tear off easily after glueing.  Next I used the turkey back feathers these feathers are much thinner and glued well. The black silk backing was glued with titebond2 as were the feathers. I applied glue quite heavily with a Qtip to each feather the smaller feathers glue most easily the ones with a thicker center quill have a tendency to form an air bubble under it and may need pressing down as the glue is drying. The feathers were pretty much
saturated with glue on both sides.  Later when dry I used shellac all over the back because it sticks
well to most anything incase some feathers were still exposed this was covered with 7 coats or so
of tru oil.  The turkeys back is amazing with iridescence changing along the lines from blackish to
bronze and yellow etc. I tried to replicate this gradient on the bows back. Some strange good
effects have occured in the exposed silk areas with the silk taking on a bit of a greenish tint in
places some how mirroring the feathers. It all blended well no problems after shooting the bow.
 :) Tom  Heres a couple more photos

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:24 am »
Very nice job,BigA done one with Turkey feathers,They really look good and blend in great for hunting.Nice work. I can't see the full draw for some reason but the others look great.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good