Main Discussion Area > Bows

Lam. bows/ what kinda clamps??

(1/5) > >>

Minuteman:
Alright I orderd some spring clamps 4", too small ,sendin' em back.
 What kinda clamps do you folks use when making a laminated bow? Just watched Dean torges' video on the BBO and I can't see buying that many big C clamps. Got any ideas for me? Will a larger 6" spring clamp work?
 Pics are good too.

ridge:
 MM I use a two piece form with the air hose. I know guys who use the rubber band forms with good results. Seems to me but i could be wrong that the money spent for all those clamps would buy the hose and plywood for the form. I got my stuff years ago from Bingham Projects. I imagine that you would have to take care to not overtighten the clamps which might cause glue starvation or to little which may cause a bad  glue line. We all have the combo that works for us.   Ridge

huntersim:
Chris,

I have about 10 6" c-clamps that I use near the riser, and then I use some 2 1/2" c-clamps for the rest of the way out. The little ones seem to work OK if you use a good pressure strip and dont over tighten them.  If you over tighten them and dont use a good pad, you'll leave "dents" on the bamboo. You dont want that.  :) If you use a floating form like D. Torges shows you can also use the clamps like Justin uses, with wood blocks and rubberbands.

venisonburger:
Don't know what kind of bows you're building, I do tri lams with bamboo and use the jig shown below, it's made by drilling 5/16" hole as far apart as you want and pounding in pcs of arrows that were cut off on the saw to the same length, I use a bicycle inner tube cut into rings and stretched from one peg, over the lams to the peg on the opposite side, my glue lines turn out good. I use URAC 185. the other method is, I have long pcs of rubber that are 1 1/2" wide, bike innertubes split in half work, I clamp one end and wrap tightly at an angle to the other end and clamp, you can get pretty good pressure this way.
VB

Justin Snyder:
I like that form VB. You been holding out on us, I haven't seen that one before.  ;D Justin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version