Author Topic: shoulder issues  (Read 3105 times)

Offline aero86

shoulder issues
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:37:05 am »
i dont have any major problems, but every now and then my shoulder seems a little tight or sore.  i have been around a few older archers, and hear about some of you gentlemen talk about shoulder problems.  have the doctors youve gone to given you any suggestions about how to help prevent shoulder issues?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

half eye

Re: shoulder issues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:02:13 am »
Aero,
    There's a bunch of reasons for shoulder problems. There is your shooting form (90 degrees to the target and upright stance  VS open stance with an unlocked elbow etc.) there is the matter of draw weight (you could try shooting a bow with as little as 5# less and see if the soreness subsides) then there is the matter of your draw length...if you are in the habit of extending the bow arm as far as possible to gain length you can alter the natural orientation of the joint.
     If I had that problem my first thing would be to lighten my draw weight maybe 10 pounds (some Ibuprofen for inflamation) and shoot a fair amount to see if that helps.....if not ya may want to take a close look at how you actually hold the bow while you are shooting........I'm one of those old guys you been listening to lately, I didn't much like having to go from my old 60-65 pounders to 50-55 but the pain left when I did that, and the accuracy improved because I was no where near as sore.
rich

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
Which shoulder? Your drawing arm, or bow arm?

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:37:51 pm »
my draw arm.  it doesnt hurt all the time.  im a mechanic, so i do a lot of wrenching, so my shoulder gets sore from that too.  i was just wondering if there was anyone way to prevent or alieviate shoulder pain or problems
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:54:01 pm »
to answer toye question of "what you can do to prevent shoulfer issues"

do the proper excersizes,and do them properly
the best way to find out out which ones are good is to ask a physical therapist
i do several differant ones since i had shoulder surgery three years ago
no pro0blems anymore,shoulders are good and strong now too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:04 pm »
IF the shoulder doesn't have significant damage try hindu pushups, look for them on youtube. Balance them out with rows or rope climbing
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »
oh yeah those push ups work, I always called them fence digs/crawls or just plain old painful.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:12 pm »
 I'm been  having trouble for a number of years. I was told by an Orthopedic Surgeon that after 40+ years of Martial Arts punching they are wore out. Not much cushion left.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?