Author Topic: arrow rest or shooting off the hand?  (Read 25985 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: arrow rest or shooting off the hand?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »
I'm a restless shooter, too.  My mentor gave me the choice when I was building the first bow, and I went the simplest way I could.  He showed me some tricks to help me put my hand in the same spot on the grip each time, eliminating another of the uncountable variables.  To this day when I finish a bow, I add something to the grip to help me hit the same grip time after time. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

wood

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 08:28:32 pm »
I use a leather rest. I use a real thin leather strip about 1/2 inch wide and about 3 1/2 inches long. I fold it in half and glue the middle then back fold each end as tabs to glue or wrap to the bow.

bowkee

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 01:15:58 am »
Wrapping the front of the fletch sure helps from getting fletched  hand syndrome ;D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 04:46:30 am »
"To rest or not to rest, that is the question."  When I have a bow nearly completed, but not yet finish, but to the shooting/testing phase, I shoot off my hand, because I haven't put an arrow rest on the bow yet.  I don't really think about it one way or the other.  I just do it.  I enjoy shooting the bow this way.  So I guess I like shooting off my hand.  I do find myself "thinking" about hand placement on the handle more.  So, an arrow rest of some sort would eliminated that issue.  But, as some have responded there are othe ways to make sure your hand is in the same position each time you shoot.

The real reason and advantage I see to an arrow rest because I make all my bows with the intent to hunt with them is to keep the arrow steady when you're NOT shooting.  In a deer stand, in a tree or on the ground, I often find a need to set the bow down or lean it against a tree.  Without a rest the arrow slides down the bow, maybe releasing from the string and falling.  Either way the arrow is going to make noise doing this.  With an arrow rest I can just lean the bow against a tree while reaching in a pockets for a snack, getting a drink, grabbing my grunt call to coax a deer closer...  An arrow rest give more freedom of movement without creating more noise and more movement.  So, I find them to be very practical.

Most of the time I do as Kegan suggested, glue a little triangular piece(s) of leater to handle which is covered by the leather handle wrap: effective and not obtrusive to the eye. 

Here' the handle of a bow I'm almost completed for a friend.  I think the handle is too pretty to put leather around it.  But, my friend is a newby and a hunte so it needed an arrow rest.  But, I thought a triangle of leather glued to the side of the bow would look ugly.  Here's what I came up with as a combination strike plate, arrow rest.  It took me two attempts to match it up to the curve in the handle and about 6 hours, but I think it looks pretty good.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 03:05:51 pm »
Ahhh, I like that bone arrow rest idea. Great combo of primitive material and modern design.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline gmc

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 07:42:19 pm »
If I ever find a need for an arrow rest I will use one.

That's a nice looking handle, Dave. Can't wait to see the rest of the bow.  ;D
Central Kentucky

Offline colejack3

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:10 pm »
So what are some ways to grip the bow at the same spot everytime without gluing anything too the bow? Thanks

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »
                                    I only own one Bow with a rest....and the Blank was given to Me a s a Gift...otherwise it would be restless too............ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
I shoot bare handed also (bow and string) I usually file a bowyers mark on the "ungripped" bows or skive a mark into the grip material if the bow gets some of that.
rich

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 01:21:46 am »
I don't know what it is, but I shoot better off the hand than I do off a rest. Just my personal experience and the only advice along those lines I can give is to wear a glove to prevent a fletching injury. Seems no matter how much I effort I put into the fletchings,it is still better to wear protection. Okay that sounded a little too much like a safe sex ad..., oh well.  :D

Offline adb

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 01:30:46 am »
I use both.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:52 am »
Thanks Prof and gmc.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 03:15:54 am »
I just bring the leather wrap up to where the arrow sits, simple and works for me
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 04:17:03 am »
I shoot off the hand, and if I'm gonna shoot more than a handful of arrows, I wear a fingerless glove to avoid feather splinters.

Ken, if that is necessary other than on cooooooold dry winterdays, something is wrong with either nockpoint placement and/or feather quill gluing/wrapping. I shoot 120 to 150 arrows per practice round and you won't be able to tell from the skin of my left hand. And so it will be with any of my bows.

I have shot bows with arrow rests only a few times, and I don't like it. It's like missing the best part to me...

JMO.

PS: A little leather thingy for consistant arrow placement (a locater) I do have on some of my bows, and that is very useful; I make these bigger sometimes to help the beginning archers.
Frank from Germany...