Author Topic: new bowyer with some questions about wood  (Read 8357 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new bowyer with some questions about wood
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 07:11:36 pm »
From the looks of that log it has some twist in it. You can see how the ridges of the bark barber pole around the log from left to right. Did the other wood split straight?
  Also, the bark should just peel off easily and the cambium should come off with it. Be sure to seal the back!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »
From the looks of that log it has some twist in it. You can see how the ridges of the bark barber pole around the log from left to right. Did the other wood split straight?

hi pat,
some of the staves have a little twist, but it didn't seem too bad to me, or at least not bad enough to render it un-useable...BUT what do i know? :-\
what do you think i should do with one that has a little twist in it?

i just finished up for the day; all of a sudden it was as if someone rang the mosquito dinner bell. 

i got hasty with the hatchet and gouged into the next growth ring on a couple staves.  good staves too, as far as i can tell, with some reflex.  is there anything i can do about that?  also i pulled some bark and it pulled a strip up from the next ring down, which was really strange.  i've attached pictures of both.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. -Carl Sagan

Offline 0209

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 12:35:36 am »
My dear, you've hit gold.  Thats a wonderful haul of wood you've got there and I've no doubt that you'll make plenty of fine bows from them.  About the ring situation, you could probably work on chasing the next ring, but I aint the best to be taking advice from seeing as I've never actually successfully chased a ring ;).  But look on the bright side, you've got plenty and I mean plenty of wood to play with.  I'm actually quite jealous, never worked with ash before.  Best of luck and remember, patience is KEY.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 08:22:40 am »
thanks ian ;D
storing up for the winter, hehe.

on closer inspection, a few of these staves have a little twist or a turn towards one end, so i guess i'll cut em up for billets?  they will definitely be useable in that form! 
i am bummed about the one with the long thin gash pictured above, because it's so nice and straight and perfect otherwise.  i'm really confused about how that happened because by that point i had stopped using my hatchet to remove the outer bark and was just using my knife, which couldn't have made a cut like that!  i know i never put the point in the stave! 
i was hoping i wouldn't have to chase the next ring  :P   but if there's no other choice then so be it!

Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. -Carl Sagan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 09:30:30 am »
Looks like a nice haul and also looks like you done a new job getting them ready to store.I wouldn't
worry about the twist,you can take that out with dry heat when you get them down closer to bow size. You can also split the belly off right where the heart wood starts to help it dry quicker.I usually leave them a few months then split them smaller.With wood with straight grain like that I pop a line and cut them with a bandsaw about 2 inches wide,You can save a lot of wood that way.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 09:33:44 am »
OOPs don't see any heart wood after looking again but you can still take a belly split off the thicker ones,they will usually split right down the growth ring,and don't need anything but a little cleaning up of the ring. :) :) That is what we call the greed factor. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »
Looks like a nice haul and also looks like you done a new job getting them ready to store.I wouldn't
worry about the twist,you can take that out with dry heat when you get them down closer to bow size. You can also split the belly off right where the heart wood starts to help it dry quicker.I usually leave them a few months then split them smaller.With wood with straight grain like that I pop a line and cut them with a bandsaw about 2 inches wide,You can save a lot of wood that way.
   Pappy
dry heat, huh?  i'll have to look into that.
when you say you wait a few months to split smaller, do you mean before you split to this size?

if anyone has a solution for those gouges i pictured besides cutting it down to that ring, i'm all ears. 

oh and i think i figured out why that long strip came off with the bark.  when ii woke this morning and went to finish debarking, the staves had been sitting in the barn all night where the temp got down to the 50s.  i started on another log and the bark was a lot harder to get off, and as a result i pulled up 2 more strips like the one pictured >:( :'(
live and learn, as they say.
had to leave for the weekend, but when i get back home to finish the debarking, i'm sticking them in the hot shower for awhile first!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:17 pm »
You can always back them with linen or something like that, maybe rawhide.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
You can always back them with linen or something like that, maybe rawhide.
i was wondering that, but was unsure if that was sufficient to make it not break. 

Offline tombo

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 11:47:56 pm »
Don't feel bad, trees are a renewable resource. They eventually rot away.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 01:00:16 am »
All this worry about a gouge ? Not too worry tho, just work that growth ring down the entire length. A( draw shave) or spoke shave would be in order at this point. I would seal the ends with paraffin or shellac and cheap white glue on the back side of the staves.  I Like your choice of wood and what you have done so far. Be patient , you will have some nice bows. Denny

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:23 am »
Don't feel bad, trees are a renewable resource. They eventually rot away.
all of this does, doesn't it? :D

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 01:49:40 am »
All this worry about a gouge ? Not too worry tho, just work that growth ring down the entire length. A( draw shave) or spoke shave would be in order at this point. I would seal the ends with paraffin or shellac and cheap white glue on the back side of the staves.  I Like your choice of wood and what you have done so far. Be patient , you will have some nice bows. Denny
just wondering if anyone had any bright solutions BESIDES cutting down another ring.
you know, ancient chinese secrets, things like that.

the ends were sealed right after i bucked it to length, and the backs sealed as soon as the bark was off, thanks.

i did just read another thread where a dude said DON'T use white glue on the backs because it's a pain to get off later.  alas, too late for me.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 03:45:03 pm »
the reflex they gain drying will probably pull out while tillering anyway. when i quick dry i set 2" blocks under the tips and clamp the handle down, it helps to keep them from twisting during drying. lots of people dont find a need to do this but it will help minimize what you have to heat correct later. in TBB they said"staves that take on this type of reflex during drying are simply"pretending"."

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:22 am »
Chryo, I have about 60 staves sealed with white glue and a light scraper removes the glue quite easily. I use elmers and others. Now shellac would be a different story. As to cheat mother nature not chasing another growth ring , good luck. I tried, It didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for you, Dean Torges said that to me once. I was asking if red oak would work for backing material. He was right.Denny