Author Topic: Split locust sapling  (Read 2721 times)

Cacatch

Split locust sapling
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »
I have a black locust sapling that at the base is only about 2 inches in diameter, and only has about an inch of heartwood or less. My question is, has anyone ever split a BL sapling like this and used the split heartwood as the back, and left it unbacked? If so, how did it turn out?  My idea is to make an eastern woodlans bendy-handle bow from this, and I'd like to leave it unbacked, but have the back flat.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
CP

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Split locust sapling
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »
I haven't made one but if I did I'd use the wood under the bark as the back and tiller from the split side. An Eastern Woodland style would be my choice also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:41:09 pm »
Too small to split. Use a hatchet. Leave the bark on if you remove it poly the back. Poly the ends pronto. Remove the bark and that will be the back. My first shooter was a made from  a BL sapling. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:17:28 pm »
How thick are the growth rings in the wood?
Central Kentucky

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:46:12 am »
Thanks Pat and George. I know that's the easiest and most logical way to go about it. I was just thinking that the back really needed to be flat for optimal performance, but maybe not.

GMC, Pretty thin... Only about 1/8" at the widest.

I might start working on it this weekend and if so, I'll try again to figure out how to post pics.

Thanks for all responses.

CP

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:59:51 am »
No need to decrown. Just leave it an inch or 2 longer than you normally do for your bows. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »
George is giving good advice.  No need to decrown, and black locust sapwood is fine for bows so no need to focus on the heartwood.  Take your time with this bow, and you will get something you can be proud of.

Cacatch

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »
Thanks for the good advice guys. That's what I'll do, just leave the back alone. Sounds better that way anyhow, doesn't it. I really don't like the idea of messing with a bows back anyway, since I don't back any of my bows and I'm afraid of compromising the back's integrity. The only reason I was thinking about it was because I thought it was the way to optimize the performance of an eastern woodland style BL bow. But apparently not. Hopefully I can post some pictures.

I think you're right Eric, I feel like I will be quite proud of this bow. Thanks for the encouraging words.

George, the extra couple inches won't be a problem either, since I cut this stave plenty long for me. I think I'll leave it about 66" NTN.

Thanks again,
CP

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:53:59 pm »
What's your draw length?
Set Happens!

Cacatch

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:23 pm »