Author Topic: quick question  (Read 1678 times)

Offline dan catalyst

quick question
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
 i have a quick question that i cant seem to find a answer to.im a new archer and have been lurking around these parts for about 6 months.i have just finished my first bow (hickory) and have built a arrow (lol, yes just the one) but before i mess up any of my shafts i wanted to find out what im doing wrong. my arrow hits its target tail up or back end high at 15-20 yards every time.im thinking my fletching and nock arnt in line,but im not sure.i have the fletching set up with the outside feather @90* from the string. 28'' draw,40lb and 100gr field tips from 3 rivers. natrual 4''ish die cut feathers.parabolic shape.also,my non-trad arrows are flying straighter from this bow.

half eye

Re: quick question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:34:28 pm »
Hey Dan,
     Ya didn't say much about using a rest, shelf or hand etc.....but if your wheelie arrows are flying good and the wooden one isn't, I suspect that ya may need to move your string knocking point (most probably upward)....the wood is probably not the same diameter as the others, and the spine is probably different also.
     Short answer would be that if "porpoising" is the problem it's most likely knocking height, and or your string release from your fingers....it's pretty easy to "pluck" the string at 40# (maybe some of each). I'm assuming that you have same type of knocks on the arrows also.....there's a lot of things that can affect the arrows' path as it leaves the bow....but at least ya can start with this.
rich

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »
I'm with Rich-most of the time porpoising is caused by not having your nocking point in the "sweet spot" on the string. Try moving it up and down, up first. If that's not it, I would play with the brace height.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:23:23 pm »
 It's the brace height. Whether shooting off your knucle or a shelf, try moving it up or down, just a little bit. Then mark that spot on the string.
  Then you can use a commercial brass nock point or wrap something like dental floss or paper soaked in Super Glue to mark your spot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dan catalyst

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
 awesome thanks guys! after alot of reading i decided to have a new string made w/ the nock point installed by a pro.brace height is maybe 1/2 inch higher and the best part is,it shoots straight and the guys at the bass pro shop like trads so much,it didnt cost me anything! im still kindof in the same boat, not knowing what caused the porpusing,but with some more reading and time in the hobby,ill figure it all out. thanks so much guys!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:02:35 pm »
porpusing is almost always the nock point
shooting left is too stiff of spine
shooting right is to light a spine
wrist slap is usually low brace height or poor form
completly missing your target,that comes from shooting like i do  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd