Author Topic: cotton canvas  (Read 3000 times)

Offline aero86

cotton canvas
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:26:56 pm »
i found a canvas sheet, 6x9, that i can use with other stuff.  i was wondering it could be used as a backing.  its a cotton weave, 8oz fabric.  anyone think it could be used as a backing?  seems like it could hold down a splinter at least.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: cotton canvas
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
Seems it would be heavy.  Any canvas I have been around is thick and heavy. but what the heck give it a try. 

tell
Tell Riley

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:44:33 pm »
im thinking about just going ahead and backing a bow i have with just for practice.  its a big huge sheet that i got for free, so i figure, why not.  it is pretty heavy, but i figured it might be the same as a rawhide backing, but then again, i know nothing about backings yet!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:05:03 pm »
depending on the finish you use you can thin the stuff later by sanding, although i dont know how much you could sand off and still be safe. if the bow is sound i probably wouldnt worry about the backing being thin.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:24:09 pm »
yeah, ive got two actually i could practice on.  they are both good shooters and have a couple hundred shots a piece, so they dont need it, but id like the experience. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
I've backed with light canvas before, 8 oz is definitely a lighter weave.  Levis are 12 oz canvas, just for reference. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:34:08 pm »
glad you could help out with how heavy the canvas was. i personally dont have much experience with weights and such except for when it comes to leather.

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:49:36 pm »
so it can be a decent backing in your experience jw?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »
After about three dozen canvas backed hickory board bows (and many of them were made from boards George Tsoukalas wouldn't use to start his woodstove), I've only had one break.  The break was caused by poor clamping when I was trying to dry heat bend a little flip in the tips.  I ended up creasing the back of the bow, virtual seeds for disaster.

Yes, you can get acceptable results from light canvas.  The heavier the canvas the more mass it adds to the limbs without really adding much more insurance. 

I recommend you round the edges of the back of the bow before you add the canvas backing.  That way you have backing insurance on the edges where you may see grain run out and have splinters lift. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.