Main Discussion Area > Bows

Snakey Hickory Takedown

<< < (3/9) > >>

AndrewS:
Hi Jesse,
that looks good. Can't wait for the fd pics ;)

Also I'm interested in the process of putting the sleeves on.

And you have a nice quiver on your tillerboard, I think :)

GregB:
Looks like a good character bow especially for hickory! :)

white wood:
justin that would be a great name for it!  ;D hadnt thought of a name yet. now i dont need to!  ;)  sorry for the mix up pappy! hehe i guess next time ill make it more clear. just kiddin, looking quick i guess it could look like osage sapwood. its pretty snakey for hickory. i havnt seen many pieces of hickory that didnt split straight so this is one of the reasons i chose this set for the bow.  andrew the quiver you see is from the belly wood from the billets. as i draw knifed them, thay left long straight thin slats that at the time were wet and pliable. so when i had the billets roughed out to were i wanted them to sit and dry, i looked at all the scrap and decided to weave them. i split them up into as thin as i could strips, and started weaving them. they worked out pretty good, better than i expected.           now for the sleeves, i laid them on the back of the bow and alaigned them with the tips. then i traced them and traced the ring on the but end of the billet. i made alot of guide lines all around the billet to make sure i went far enough but not too far into the wood. i cut the side lines in with a band saw, and the bottom line were the extra wood was on the roughed out billet. i did this for both limbs and then stardet tweaking them with the belt sander. i sanded a little at a time checking the fit constantly.  the sander was a very usefull tool for doing this part of the bow. once i hed them fitted, i put the bow sleeves on and slid them together. they were a little loose fitting but i wanted them a little small so i could adjust the tips and i knew the epoxie would fill any small gaps when i glued the sleeves on anyway. leaving a little room for adjusting the tips, i was able to get an almost center shooting bow without cutting a shelf. this is alot easier to understand while your actually doing it. this project went way better than i thought it would and was fun to build. im planning on doing another one soon and wil make a build along. thanks for all the nice comments, ill hopefully have a grip on it tommorow for final pics. -jesse

brokennock:
Lookin great. I've got a ton of questions for ya but I don't know where to start and the situation is hard to describe without pics. See, I too wish to make a 2 piece hickory take down like yours. I have the sleeves, i have the wood (i think?) and the need. I have 2 full length twin staves, both have X-treme reflex on one half, I would like to cut them each into 2 billets and match the reflexed halves together and the straight halves. I'm having trouble figuring out where to cut so I have enough wood for the handles.

Pat B:
Brokennock, I would get enough from the straight ends to make a straight bow and not worry about the X-treme reflexed ends. They would probably put too much strain on the stave at the sleeves edge and they would be difficult to tiller.  Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version