Author Topic: West Coast bow project questions.  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Parnell

West Coast bow project questions.
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »
I'm finishing up an Osage project and am starting to think about something new.  I've been wanting to do a west coast style sinew back replica and am starting to try to piece a few things together, so let me shoot;

1.  I've got quite a bit of ERC growing around my place.  I've read it can be used, but, I'm debating on it's effectiveness vs. a short stave of yew.  Anyone want to comment on experiences sinew backing ERC?

2.  How many pieces are typically needed to do one layer of backing for a shorty?  I've read some on the cow vs. deer, elk, not sure which way I'm going, yet.  Couldn't find cow sinew at Dog Mart.  Oh well, may look to order some and I see leg sinew is cheaper.  I don't mind learning the processing, comments from use, regarding this?

3. Regarding sinew, once it's laid down on a bow and it dries, is it shot if the bow breaks later?  Always wondered if it could be salvaged...

I think that's all I'm wondering right now.  Thanks for any input.
1’—>1’

Offline sonny

Re: West Coast bow project questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »

it's not quite what you're referring to but that's a little Ishi bow I'm finishing up, made from sinew backed eastern
red cedar sapwood (got a little bit of heartwood along the belly.)
What I call three courses of sinew, the first of which covers the entire back from side to side, the second a little narrower, the third down the center.
simply a guess but there's probably ten leg tendons on this bow.

As for your #3 question- you can soak sinew off of a broken bow but it's a pain in the ass to get it separated, as when it's glued on (if done properly)
it ALL sticks together.

.....hope this helps.
oh, and I'm contemplating building a wide West Coast bow from eastern red cedar myself.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:20 pm »

second pic I intended to post above......
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »
I didn't see any information on Ishi making recurved bows in TBB4.  Only straight bows with reflex added from sinew or rawhide backed bows.

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:13:05 pm »
...simply called an Ishi bow based on the dimensions used as well as the profile before sinew was applied.

I could make the argument that it's not so different than that above, except for a bit more reflex which only happened
as the sinew dried.

.....hopefully Parnell sees the relevance in my posting that eastern red cedar bow as it has sinew on the back.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:20:41 pm by sonny »

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:44 am »
Ishi did infact make a recurved bow here n there,when he saw the benefit of it.He recurved the ends by placeing the tip intended to be recurved.over wet moss set on a hot rock.It Steamed it soft and then he bent the recurve over his knee.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:04:44 am »
Glenn, is your 44" like the drawing?  I have a 49" ERC sap/heart wood stave cut out to the same shape that I plan to sinew back.   Does ERC bend well with heat?

Parnell, ERC is a juniper(Juniperus virginiana) and not a true cedar.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:07 am »
Glenn, do you still have that older sinew-backed cedar bow you used to shoot? That thing was awesome.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Good information, thanks for the posting.  I like that bow you've made Sonny.
I was aware that ERC was in the Juniper family, but didn't know if it would hold up to the sinew as well as the referred to western mountain juniper or all the yew documentation.

How clean are the ERC staves?  I've got a lot growing around, but am having a trick of a time finding a piece free of pin kots, at least...
1’—>1’

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:07:13 pm »
It's pretty difficult to find a stave that doesn't have a few, if not many knots but they do exist.
I'm of the opinion that they'll still make a bow but some of those knots are hard as woodpecker lips.
One concern that I have is how wide to go through mid-limb- some of those West Coast bows are 2-1/2" wide or so. seems
the limbs would have to be pretty thin to get the draw weight down AND if backed with sinew thin, wide limbs can be unstable (in that they
want to flip.)

Pat, yes mine's 44". The sapwood bends easily enough, the heartwood not so easily. I cracked a heartwood bow limb I was trying to recurve some time ago.

Steve, yes I still have that bow but I decided to try to "fix" one of the tips and broke it(NOT the recurve I mentioned above.) I've shortened the bow and added some sinew but it still needs some work......I now wish I hadn't tried to fix it as it'll never be the same. I've desperately searched for another stave as good as that one
but have yet to find it. That bow stands in the corner of shame for now.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 11:40:08 pm »
 That's going to be a nice bow, Glenn. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Steve, when you come up next I have plenty of cured(2004) cedar you are welcome to.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 11:59:42 pm »
Cool!  I'm heading up to Mt. Dora this weekend, maybe I can catch up with you.  I'll try to call.
1’—>1’

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 12:05:36 am »
ahh ic...beautiful bow...I plan on making one of Ishi's 54" paddle bow...the picture of him drawing the bow in TBB4 is freaking awesome and inspiring.  I've already made a 52" bow for my 26" draw...it was for tillering practice though