Author Topic: "Talea"  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Kegan

"Talea"
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »
Finished this one up this morning, had it kicking around while I'm working on some take-downs. Sorta a love-hate relationship with this thing. It gave me a bunch of trouble as soon as I got the finish on. Sorry about the photos, should have waited until the sun was a little lower.

It's hot box cured hickory, 64" ntn. About 1 1/2" reflex after unbracing, it started with about 2 1/2" reflex after first bend once the sinew was dry. The narrow sinew band stops about 5" from the tips, but should have stopped it sooner. The limbs are 2", mostly pyramid taper to about 5/16" pin nocks. Slightly concave on the outer limbs. It's 59# at 28", 63# at my draw. Sinew is coated in TB III, and the finish is spar urethane. It's particularly light in the hand.

Very fast for the weight, almost as fast as "Black Betty" with the same arrows, but requires more effort to keep the same size groups. Started out as a selfbow, but a little light, so I shortened and backed it. Walnut stain, even up onto the sinew. It looked really primitive and old, but at the same time very simple, so I looked up the latin for "stick", talea. It would make a great close quarters hunting bow, and really shoots well at shorter draw lengths too.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline walkabout

Re: "Talea"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:46:30 pm »
love the front profile of it. finish also looks pretty cool.

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:48:11 pm »
  man  your  stuff  is  in  a  class  all  it's  own!!!!!!!   I  like it JW

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »
Great job! I like the narrow tips and profile. I bet it zips an arrow....

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:31 pm »
You've come a long way Grasshopper!  ;) Very nice bow Kegan!  Almost perfect weight for my 26" draw.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
Great bow Kegan.

Really like the color.  What about those big snakes I sent you?  They must be getting ready for another bow.  Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »
Great bow Kegan one of my favorites from you,I'd taker huntin' with me any day.well done Hammertime

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »
Sweet bow, nice profile, as usual ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »
whats the dimensions on the handle/fade area.  ive got a stave that is almost exactly like that, and thats the style i was gonna go for!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »
Wow Kegan, that really looks like a bow that'll zip an arrow.  The tiller looks exempliary and I admire how you brought down the outer limbs while keeping them stiffer.  Way to go!
1’—>1’

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 07:50:33 pm »
wow, Kegan, gorgeous bow! seems like you've taken your skills to a whole new level!

Rob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:25:43 pm »
Thanks eveyrone :)

Tell- I was going to put the longest skin you sent on this one, but it was a few inches short because I took the sinew a little too far. However, I have a couple neat idea projects that I'm looking forward to using them on.

Aero86- The handle is about 1" wide, 4 1/2" long, with 2 1/2" long fades. It's about 1 3/4" deep on average, I don't recal exactly.

Parnell- I've been starting all the roughed out staves as 1/2" thick pyramids. At 2", they start out pretty heavy, so I just thin the inner sections and narrow the outer. I'm getting lighter and lighter on each bow I do, with more and more concave a taper.

Rob- it's all the great influence on here, like your hickory/cherry laminate, and TBB vol. 4. Can't help but want to make 'em better after all that ;)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:17:22 pm »
Very Nice Kegan!  We'll see it again in the August Self Bow of the Month Contest too!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bowkee

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 11:23:49 pm »
Good work Kegan :)

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 11:59:06 pm »
Great looking bow, as we've all come to expect from you.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery