Author Topic: backing a red oak board bow  (Read 8287 times)

Offline ericw

backing a red oak board bow
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:24 am »
Here is or could be a stupid question. Has anyone or can you back a red oak board bow with boo? I can't say I've ever seen anyone do this yet (new to the bow building world). I've seen where the use boo on other types of wood but never red oak. I found a 1x2 board at lumber yard that looks fairly straight grained and is going to be my next project. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: backing a red oak board bow
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54:17 am »
Welcome to PA Eric. Glad to have you join us!  8)
  You can use boo as a backing for red oak but better options are available; both as backings for red oak and as belly options for boo.
  Bamboo makes a very strong backing for a bow so ideally you want to use a belly wood that is strong in compression. Osage, ipe, yew and other compression strong woods would be more appropriate. Good backings for red oak would be hickory, elm ash or maple or a simple backing like rawhide, silk or linen. The latter won't add any performance but will add protection against lifting splinters.
  Check out George Tsoukalas' website for lots of info on building red oak and other board bows. You can find George's site at the top of the "How To" section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:19 am »
What Pat said- but I have a sweet shooting boo backed red oak ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:40 am »
 Hi Eric....I have only backed one Red Oak Board with Bamboo...it worked fine...but I usually just used a Hickory Backing Strip that was cut edge grain....about 1/8 to 3/16th thick..or use Silk or Linen.....cheaper and a less chance of overpowering the Oak with Boo....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:57:23 am »
Man ....We all hit this one at the same time..... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:02:40 am »
Great minds think alike, Mike!  ;D
  Eric made his first bow at the camp-o-rama a few weeks ago and did a bang up job on it. He did have expert help with his first bow, though!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:05:25 am »
Great minds think alike, Mike!  ;D

then how did i miss this right away  ;) ;D

just do like they said,they know what they are talking aboot
me on the other hand,well im kinda like Sgt. Shultz from Hogans Heros
lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:54 am »
Tim, you must have slept in this morning!c  ;D
  "...are talking aboot" ?  I didn't know you were Canadian?  ::)

Offline mox1968

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »
wit yae talking aboot??thats glaswegian he must be scottish like me lol.

Offline ericw

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:00 am »
Thanks for the responses guys. Makes sence. I kind of thought it would over power the bow but wasn't sure. Another question. When backing a bow with hickory, ash or maple do you do it the same way you would glue up a laminated bow (glass) with something like smooth-on and heat box or is there another way?
Thanks

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:57:46 am »
Eric....Smooth On is great...so is Urac....But I normally just use TiteBond 2 or 3....when gluing Wood to Wood....the biggest factor in this wood to wood backing is the Grain Orientation....make sure that your Backing Strip is nice straight grained 1/4 Sawn Lumber...with little (preferrably ...No Run-Offs at all)...I size both pieces with thinned down Glue....then when I have everything ready for the Glue-Up...I recoat with full strength Glue...and wrap with Inner Tube Strip...or clamp it....have never had a problem ...JMO....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ericw

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:02:52 pm »
Thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer ( don't have a heat box or the room for one right now). I was looking at 3 rivers and they have pre-cut hickory backing strips that I may try when I get around to building this.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:27 pm »
Eric, I went to a specialty lumber company and found an 8/4 x10' hickory board with perfect grain and paid about $30 for it. I cut 6' off and using the edge I cut lots of backing strips from it. The 4' piece can also be cut into strips that will be joined at the handle.
  I have some backing strips if you want one. I also have one of your camp chairs that you left at the camp-o-rama. If you want to come up and get your chair I will give you a backing strip or two!  ;)

Offline ericw

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 02:34:29 pm »
Pat
Thanks but I think you have the wrong Eric on this one. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out doing that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 03:32:23 pm »
You're not Eric Ward? Sorry!... but the info is still good!   ;D