Author Topic: Leather  (Read 3036 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Leather
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:09 pm »
I got a nice batch of leather in.  I took some samples into Tandy leather to find out a little about it.  He said it was a "half shoulder top-pull utility leather."  In his words, it was really nice leather that would be great for knife sheath type projects.  He deglazed a piece and it took a stamp, so it tools fine.  He also tooled a piece without deglazing it and it worked just as good, which he said was unusual (and didn't have an explanation why that was).  The picture of the two arrowheads is the deglazed and non-deglazed piece.  Should be plenty of leather for a full size quiver and some bow grips and slap guard and whatever else you might want.  The water bottle is for reference.  He said these pieces would go for $40-$45 in the remnant section.  I'm not interested in money, so whatever you got, PM an offer.  The pictured leather is not all I have.  I have quite a bit of black leather that was being made into baseball gloves- perfect size for bow handles or smaller leather projects.  I do not believe that leather is toolable.  I have tons of colors and different thicknesses, so if you are interested in something in particular, let me know.  If anyone has osage lumber, I would be interested in that (full-length preferred, but wouldn't mind shorter pieces I could splice).  A BBO  kit would be great- just tell me what you want  ;)  I'm heading to the woods in the morning until Friday or Saturday, so I'll get back to anyone interested once I get back.  Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:12:38 am by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Leather
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:57:30 pm »
Sorry for the poor picture, but I didn't feel like pulling out the real camera.  This leather is much softer and does not have as much body to it.  I think this is chrome tanned.  I have a ton of this leather in the shapes in the picture.....this would work good for belt quivers. possibilites bags, grips, etc....if you tell me what you are wanting to make, I can go through the leather and get you something that should work.  Once again, not interested in money, throw at me whatever you have.  Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:26:57 am »
Nice leather, wish I had something good to trade.

tell
Tell Riley

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »
I've got some osage slats, pm sent