Author Topic: braintanned elk quiver  (Read 2281 times)

Offline elk country rp

braintanned elk quiver
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:00 am »
finally got around to making a respectable quiver!

Rob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline medicinewheel

Re: braintanned elk quiver
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:52 am »
Nice!
Details maybe??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:16:49 pm »
I like it.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:49:26 pm »
thank you gents!

details: big bull that resisted softening (the tanner said he tried to break it 4 or 5 times), so it was in the corner of shame until i asked if he had any rejects that he could trade instead of getting $$ for them. all measurements are estimates- it seemed wrong to actually use a tape measure on this for some reason.

i cut the straps from the center (back bone)- they're ~65" long, which is perfect length for me. that left me with two halves of about 12"- 18" wide x 60" long, so i cut them i half (i shoot a 30"- 32" arrow, so again, perfect). then i looked at Jay Massey's design in TBB vol 2 and cut the quiver body similar to his shape. i'll admit that stitching was a bugger! i did all the holes with a knife & used artificial sinew for thread (i wanna try gut for one after hyun

Offline elk country rp

lol- my 3 yr old attacked the keyboard midway through the post
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:49 pm »
thank you gents!

details: big bull that resisted softening (the tanner said he tried to break it 4 or 5 times), so it was in the corner of shame until i asked if he had any rejects that he could trade instead of getting $$ for them. all measurements are estimates- it seemed wrong to actually use a tape measure on this for some reason.

i cut the straps from the center (back bone)- they're ~65" long, which is perfect length for me. that left me with two halves of about 12"- 18" wide x 60" long, so i cut them in half (i shoot a 30"- 32" arrow, so again, perfect). then i looked at Jay Massey's design in TBB vol 2 and cut the quiver body similar to his shape. it ended up ~12" wide at the mouth & ~10" at the bottom before i stitched it. i'll admit that stitching was a bugger! i did all the holes with a knife & used artificial sinew for thread. the strap is attached by scrap leather thongs through knife holes. i wanna try gut for thread next- after hunting season :)  to make it fully "primitive". i've shot with it 3 times now to see if it was stiff enough to skip the stiffening rod and it's holding shape just fine. i love how it hugs my arrows and stays where i put it (having the fur out makes it grab my side & stay), and it's utterly silent for creeping. i haven't had time to finish the matching bow case- speed goat season opens up next weekend, so i'm doing more shooting & less building.

glad you like it,
Rob

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:29:21 pm »
That's nice craftsmanship!
Living a dream...

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:47:47 pm »