Author Topic: reed wigwam  (Read 11053 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
reed wigwam
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »
finished this one up monday. feel like im covered in papercuts. could use one more layer of phragmites to get it a bit more water tight but itll work.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: reed wigwam
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:26 pm »
Wow Jamie that is one awesome wigwam...  How long did that take from start to finish?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:35:04 am »
Cool Jamie! Think i'd rather be living in one of those right now vs this hotel. Sometimes i just wanna cave man out and leave this modern world behind - a month later, i'd prolly be begging to come back though ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:22 am »
josh id have to say it takes about 4 days , start to finish. the building part is the easy part. its getting all the material together. i have a f350 8' bed and this wigwam took 4 full loads of phragmites and close to 45 saplings. each sapling gets pealed and if it goes in the ground the ends gets charred. the pealing of the poles is the worse part. just monotonous.

paul these things are really comfortable. buddy of mine built one with phragmites matts that is portable. i would love to do that.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:20:19 am »
Nice job Jamie. Hunting shelter? How large is it? Looks like 8' across maybe? Really cool.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »
crow , thank you. all the wigwams and longhouses ive built this year are for a museum i do reproductions for. this wigwam is a 10 footer.

waterbury, ct

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:44:26 pm »
That's cool Jamie.  I want to build some sort of shelter in my primitive campsite I have started.  I just need to do a little more research and then start gathering the materials up.  Thanks for the inspiration.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:18:46 pm »
josh if you want to use bark you running outa time :)
Way cool jamie!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 05:30:28 pm »
that's the truth, Jesse.  :) :) I am about the biggest procrastinator ever.  :) 

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:33:59 pm »
I've built them before and I'd like to make on at pappys place.
Thought about building it in the camping area, i just never have any time.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »
Jamie,
That is really cool. Neat work.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:55 am »
Jamie....you got building Plans for that.... I may need one to live in....if I don't get back to work soon.......... ::) :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 11:02:11 am »
Awesome!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:22 am »
thanks again guys. if anybody is interested a friend of mine has written a good book on building wigwams. as always you cant beat handson experience but it'll give you a great base to get started. if anyone wants the info i'll pm it to ya. the museum has an event this week and the news was there and filmed the village. im gonna try to get a copy of the clip and post it. peace

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 10:38:12 pm »
Awesome work brother as usual!  Ive only made one with trees , brush etc... having cut all the reeds must have taken some effort I commend you!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill