Author Topic: New Hophornbeam Bow  (Read 15327 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
New Hophornbeam Bow
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »
    This bow is sort of a collaboration between my friend Erik and myself.  I cut the tree down, He roughed out the stave, I heat straightened it, and he floor tillered to brace...  We shelved the project for awhile until about a month ago after I finished the one I was working on we decided to use dry heat to flip the tips.
    The first tip went smooth as butter but the second tip cracked on the belly side.  I could tell this really disappointed my friend, so I told him I would try and patch it and see if it would hold. 
    Since the curve was already pretty much in the bow, I put a C-clamp over the crack so it would still cool into the shape I wanted without lifting anymore or trying to straighten out.  After it cooled, I gently applied a little back pressure and filled the crack with super glue till it ran out of both sides of the crack and put it back on the form with a clamp holding the crack closed.  While that was drying, I made a patch out of a scrap piece of HHB I bent to the shape of the belly curve.  I glued it on with Urac.  I have pulled the bow countless times and the crack/patch shows no signs of moving or separating so I guess it will be okay.
   This bow is pretty short compared to my last 3.  It is 62"  NtN and pulls 55lbs at 28"  It shows 1/2 inch of follow directly after unstringing and lays flat after a little while.  I drew an owl on his top limb because that is his favorite bird and no matter what time of day/where we are at, he can always seem to call  them up.  I didn't tell Erik the bow was even still among the living and I went to his house last night after work to present him with it.  He seemed to like it alot and I hope ya'll do to.  Thanks for looking!   :) :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: New Hophornbeam Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:24 pm »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:09 pm »
Nice save Josh...tiller looks great on it too! I have had that happen twice now...not with HHB...but with Ash and Elm...and both time I have saved the Limbs with a Sinew wrap...and they are ....as You put it....Still among the Living....great job
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:36 pm »
oh jeez that is nice
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:01:18 pm »
nice lines- graceful looking bow! beautiful tiller too!

Rob

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:05:39 pm »
Thank you, Mike.. I was gonna sinew wrap it but just wanted to see if a patch would hold without it... So far, so good. 

Thanks yb33!

Thank you Elk.   :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »
NIce job! I've had that happen too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 01:45:28 pm »
Nice job! and good fix too, i bet your buddy was suprised (grin) Cool owl too
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:05:14 pm »
Thank you Jawge!

Thanks Elk!  It was pretty cool getting to surprise him with this bow.  He was the one who got me into this hobby/addiction so it feels good to be able to give him something in return. 

Thank you Scott!  I only have one spot where these things grow that I've found but there are a BUNCH of them, most are twisted but there are still a few standing that I really wanna go harvest.  I can't find them anywhere else around besides that one spot... Thanks for the compliment on the owl.. I used to draw all the  time but kinda got out of it a few years back. 

Offline acker

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »
 :) Nice tiller and a good rescue
acker

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:12:50 pm »
Looks great to me Josh! I've never tried HHB but have a stave GregB gave me two or three years ago - need to giterdone ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:19:38 pm »
Thank you acker and Paul.  :)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:20:17 pm »
Josh great work brother!  I love HHB its some tough stuff compared to others but the end result is what is important!  Nice lines and the owl is cool too.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:34:03 pm »
Nice bow Josh!
Frank from Germany...