Author Topic: 2nd bow is done! short Vine Maple  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
2nd bow is done! short Vine Maple
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:30:28 am »
This is my 2nd successful bow! It is Vine Maple 46" ntn, its drawing 40# at 21", it feels and shoots great, i was suprised how fast it shoots and it is just as acurate as my Apple bow. I made it for my wife to shoot with me but now i dont want to set it down lol. I finished it with a charcoal water mix  and clear coat over that. If anyone has any tips on the tiller or length ect. i would love to hear them thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: 2nd bow is done! short Vine Maple
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:52:11 am »
Awesome little bow.  Love vine-maple and that is cool. Are you only drawing it to 21 inches in the photo? Cant comment on the tiller since I'm a novice. I will be willing to bet your wife will be asking you if it really is for her since you wont stop shooting it. 40lbs if perfect to shoot all day. Again cool bow.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:54:18 am »
Tiller looks very good for only your second bow. My only suggestion would be to leave the center area of the bow a bit stiffer. Congratulations on a fine bow.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:04:08 am »
viking i think i am very close to 21 because my forward arm is bent more than usual and im not to my anchor point, so i would guess Yes thanks for kind words

Gordon
Thankyou for the tip i really appretiate it and look up to you allot in the bow world as do many, i have been working with John S here in Tillamook off and on and he has nothing but good things to say about you. thanks again
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:28:08 am »
Sweet little bow,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:20 am »
Very nice. I like that finish and tiller looks great to me.
Nice job
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:51 am »
cool short bow!  I love the way vine maple looks. We'll look at it again for August Self BOM fun too!   :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Barrage

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
Awesome little bow.  Really like how that charcoal finish turned out.  And the handle too.  Nice work!  :)
Travis

Offline acker

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:11:40 pm »
 :)
Great work for a second bow !
acker

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:07 pm »
Short bows are a lotta fun.  Congratulations on that.
1’—>1’

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:33:29 pm »
Well, that's a nice surprise. Nothing like I've seen before. Great job.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »
Very nice bow. What's the brace height set at as measured from string to back of bow.? Seems a bit high. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 02:05:00 am »
Nice bow,i really like the finish!goodjob.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:54:52 pm »
Brace height was high in picture, i took some advice fom some guys on paleoplanet and it seems to shoot the best at 4.5" brace height, in the picture it was at 6". I got my first flemish twist bowstring made and on it now turned out good, any tips for stretching the string? I was told to leave the string on it over night but i dont like to leave the string on unless im shooting it. thanks again guys

Offline walkabout

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »
I stretch my strings by attaching one end around a clamp handle thats clamped to my bench, then the other end attached to a turnbuckle and my bow scale. i crank the turnbuckle till the scale reads about 50# and leave it overnight. a little complicated but i dont have anything that weight enough to hang it from.lol. love that finish too, im using a modified version of it on my hickory selfbow.