Author Topic: Parkers Osage Build  (Read 13604 times)

Offline walkabout

Re: Parkers Osage Build
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:37 pm »
very cool, its always great to see the next generation of bowyers learning the ropes so they can keep the art alive. that stave has got some great potential, i love seeing character like that.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 12:05:24 am »
Wow,  down to a growth ring already?!  That young man can work some wood!!  Looks like he did the one without the reflex first, that's what I would have done too.  Yea, some bending is in your future.  Lots of potential there to be a really really cool bow.  He's doing a great job...and so are you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:50 am »
yessir,
      i helped a bit on chasin ring but thats it,he calls it his snakey bow and man does it have character.we had to lay it out dodgin knots and twistin this way and that.Lots of character.I got my stave down to floor tiller,ended up splittin it and got two staves,their not very wide but i believe they will work,their almost 1 1/4 wide,gonna keep weight low and see what happens.they split straight but really snakey!very cool character,Thanks George!! ;D Pic of my stave,got one split in handle i'm worried bout but i think i can take care of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 01:12:40 am »
Awesome site!  Its good to see taking the time to have ur kids experience a bit of what u do!  My son gives it a go once in a while and gets me a bit nervous when I catch him outside with the hatchet or a bopper and some stone! 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 08:01:21 am »
Thanks walkabout and ancientarcher.I really enjoy watching him work on his bows,the look of determination and concentration he gets is priceless.We'll try to get some more pics posted thru the week.thanks guys

Southwest,VA

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 09:23:03 am »
Good thread keep it coming.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:11 am »
Nice work on that long stave.  Not sure what you mean by light weight, but we had one guy in our club up north that built osage bows narrower than that one that pulled upwards of 50#.  Osage is good wood, you might be surprised what it'll do if you still have the depth to have enough bow weight and keep all the limb working.  Besides, if you break it you can just get another stave (or 3 or 4) when you bring the young man down for a hog hunt.  I like the character in the short bow and I'm impressed with how quick he can pick this stuff up.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 02:25:16 pm »
Very cool thread - I'll be watching, I always enjoy seeing young people involved.
1’—>1’

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »
Thanks guys. George by  light weight i was thinking 40-ish,i still got lots of wood on it,might go for 55-60 and see how it holds!Parkers bow is goin to be beautiful,i got a small blacksnake i told him we would put on it.He's excited and hee impresses me also.See that big hole in the russian olive on the bank.Thats what he does on his breaks or while I'm helping him get past a rough spot.Says its his treestand!LOL He is something else.

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 11:25:55 am »
got it on da long string and posted a few pics of lil sis makin her bow,looks like i'm goin to have to get her a piece to whittle on.Enjoy

Southwest,VA

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:42 am »
This is too cool. I know how much hard work I just put into my first self bow and to see this youngster devoting the time to build one from scratch is most impressive.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 06:06:29 pm »
Thanks steve,He's a worker and i love the look of concentration he gets ;D absolutely priceless

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 02:57:36 am »
Finally got to work on his bow some more.Here he is flippin tips and second set is him makin his string.He layed it out and i had to twist it for him but,he made some good progress,wont be long fore hes shootin this one!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 06:15:06 am »
Very cool,looks like he is coming along. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 08:38:09 am »
Thanks Pappy,hes doin good,had a lil spell where he couldnt work on it because he was goofin off in school so he had to bring his grades up.He amazes me at how well he picks up what i tell him to do.Gonna make a great bowyer ;)

Southwest,VA