Author Topic: what do you think this is?  (Read 5785 times)

Offline aero86

Re: what do you think this is?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:17:26 pm »
took another look today.  the edges are jagged on the leaves.  the bark is smooth.  right now it has green berries on some branches.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 12:46:18 am »
I think Far East Archer nailed it. Ailanthus, "Tree of Heaven".   Try a stave and see how it works. Make the bow wide and long! If it turns out to be good bow wood you can help eradicate an invasive exotic. You might be a hero!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »
took another look today.  the edges are jagged on the leaves.  the bark is smooth.  right now it has green berries on some branches.

Can you get a pic of the berries? That may help a lot.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 02:44:17 pm »
I don't think it's Ailanthus, and I deal with that stuff every day. It looks superficially similar, but not quite like it. If you can post a few more pics of the whole plant, any fruits or seeds, and the bark, it would help.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.