Author Topic: Hop Hornbeam Stave Problem - Advice Wanted  (Read 1819 times)

Offline barebo

Hop Hornbeam Stave Problem - Advice Wanted
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:37:58 am »
Been a while since I've made a bow (April !!). Anyhow, I had 2 nice Hop Hornbeam staves cured, and decided to start a build.
As I was rasping away excess belly material, I was kind of shocked to see a crack about 5 inches long that runs about 1/2" from the limb edge and is halfway between the fade and the tip. It doesn't go through to the back which I've examined closely. I put a
liberal amount of loctite superglue in the crack, but wonder if I'm crazy to go ahead and try to tiller it ??

Offline barebo

Re: Hop Hornbeam Stave Problem - Advice Wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:31 am »
I should have mentioned that the crack wasn't there until I removed about 1/4" of wood, and I'm close to my desired floor tiller in thickness now???

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:57 am »
Just depends,most of the time the check will come out,a picture would help a lot to see  what you are up against.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gmc

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:01:30 am »
I opened up a large crack on the back of bow one time with a heat gun. Not that I was heating the back but the heat from whatever I was doing at the time didn't agree with it. It was nasty looking, longitudinal in nature right at the inner 3rd of the limb, 3 inches long. I used the heat gun to open it up a little then poured super glue in the crack and then clamped it back together using a vice. It's still shooting and the crack isn't there anymore.

Just speaking from one tiny experience. But as the guy told me with my 401k account, past performance is no guarantee of future results.  ::)
Central Kentucky

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »
As long as it's running with the grain and doesn't cross the grain or run out the side of the limb, it shouldn't cause you any problems.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline barebo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:38:24 pm »
Just a quick update here: put the finish on the bow today. Tillered out fine - shoots nice, and looks nice. Hope it holds up!!
Try to get pics after I wrap the grip.