Author Topic: Starting flakes on glass  (Read 1900 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Starting flakes on glass
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:58:35 pm »
I stopped by the local glass place yesterday and scored 4 large pieces of plate glass (and the guy told me I could have much more).  I've been trying to work on it a little, but I'm having trouble getting decent flakes started on the 90 degree edges.  I end up with a ton of hinges all down the side.  What's the best way to start with this stuff?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Starting flakes on glass
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:25:52 pm »
Watch this video.  It's a bit grainy but you'll get the idea.  The glass slab in the video is larger than plate glass, but the same principle applies.  You will need to "scissor" the square edge.

---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGT1sU0_NL0&feature=related
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:21:46 pm »
You'll want to stitch the edge on a square cut or broken peice of glass. All that amounts to is taking short steep flakes back and forth off the edge all the way around. Once you do that you'll have platforms along the edges that you can work with. Hmm, may have a pic for example. Found one - stitched edge :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:27:02 pm »
...then what?   :) Do you bring the whole edge to below the centerline or do you run flakes alternating sides with the stitched edge?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:30:07 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
Well, on this particular one.. I beefed up those individual platforms, got em just below center and started popping off some good sized spalls with big percussion. Eventually got it worked into a nice big bi-face right before I snapped it in half  ;D. This was just to demonstrate a stitched edge. Would be a little different on a peice of glass and most likely all pressure work depending on the thickness.
  Shannon has a real good tutorial on bi-facing in the how-to section..

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:37:20 pm »
Cool that's where I get confused... Thanks Paul.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:46:56 pm »
Not a problem :). Hmm, digging through these old pictures is giving me the fever ;D.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »
Thanks guys, that video and pictures helped a ton. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis