Author Topic: Newbie needs help  (Read 1793 times)

bloodfang34

Newbie needs help
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »
Hello Everyone,
   I have been putting this off for a long time as I am a newbie and technologically handicapped. I have subscribed to PA for a few years. I just haven’t gotten around to building a bow (back to back deployments), but I have knocked out a few obsidian points and made one arrow; just tinkering as I find the time. I would like to make all my own gear and use it, just to challenge myself. I don’t consider myself a survivalist; I just have an affinity for history and self reliance.
   I live in Northern California (don’t hold it against me). I am wondering what bow woods and arrow materials that I could harvest and cure here in the north coastal range. I live at about 2500ft+ if it matters. Sadly, the local tribes have not been very helpful, or just don’t remember the skills, in identifying bow and arrow wood. The local obsidian is full of bubbles and ash pits that make it worthless. I was able to find out that the local tribes traded for useable stone for points.
   I am interested in a local bush that is probably not well known. It is called Manzanita, Spanish for little apple. It has short thick leathery oval leaves, and thin smooth deep red skin like bark that curls and peels off as it grows. The fruit looks like little 1/2” green apples. It has a reputation for dulling saws but producing a hot fire. It’s a gnarly twisted bush with dense wood. Because of the ban on controlled burns it grows thick and tall in places. I might be able to get a few staves straight enough to work with. Anyone know of or have experience with it?
   I’ve got the Bowyers Bibles and think that they have the info I need. I just wondered if anyone had ideas on materials local to my area.
   I have always had a fascination with horse archery; I’ve been on horses all my life. I plan on trying a horn bow some day after I knock out a few wood bows and get the mechanics down.
   If there is a better place on this site to post this question, point me in the right direction.
Thanks for the input and help,

Rusty

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »
Rusty, I not very familiar with your local vegitation but a few trees that come to mind are Pacific yew, choke cherry, possibly vine maple and service berry.  Salt cedar, an exotic invasive probably grows there too and makes heavy, hard hitting arrows but also small shoots from the choke cherry and service berry will make arrows as well.
  Thanks for your service!  Anything we can do to help you along, all you have to do is ask!  d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:52:44 pm »
I would think that manzanita would make a good bow.  The problem is getting a piece long and straight enough to work with, unless your work with short bows and short draw lengths...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »
on the page i refer to for bow wood questions, it lists mesquite as a decent bow wood(if its in your area) and one called scotch broom. the scotch broom it says grows in california, and can make a decent bow.im not sure the rules against posting links or id drop it for you, although i can put it in a pm if you like.