Author Topic: The "U-Design It" Bow  (Read 5539 times)

Offline profsaffel

The "U-Design It" Bow
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »
Hi gang. I was out in the ol' woodshop today and I managed to ruin a perfectly good pyramid bow in progress. When I first started bow making, such a disaster and overwhelming feeling of disappointment would take me out of the mood for a day or more. This morning, however, I just said a choice word, took a deep breath, and started looking for another stave or board to work on. I perused my collection but nothing called to me.

Then, I found this maple board. It whispered that it wanted desperately to be molded into a deer hunting machine, and the temptation was too much to resist. So I pulled it out of the shadows and brought it into the light. I carried it around the shop, laid it down, studied it, and examined it. But alas, I just couldn't decide what this bow is supposed to look like. That's when I got the idea to turn to you for help.

It's a very hard maple (originally for wood flooring) board, just under 2 inches wide, just over an inch thick, and 60" long. That leaves me with quite a few options. Remember, I only need a 25" draw.

Here are some options:

A. pyramid style bow
B. classic American flatbow
C. Meare Heath
D. West Coast bow (like the one on the front cover of the current PA)
E. Modac style
F. scalloped design
G. Specific Eastern Woodland design
H. Caddo
I. Other suggestion?

I'm leaning away from a Meare Heath or classic flatbow due to the shortness of the board.

So, what should I do with this maple? U Design It!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: The "U-Design It" Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
I would go with the Eastern Woodland or pyramid bow. The wide pyramid(2 1/4" fades) I built is a rocket launcher and the simplicity of the Eastern Woodland style will surprise you with how well it shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:46 pm »
The grain on that bow is very, very bad. Take it back and choose a straight grained board. Info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24:47 am »
Normally George, I would completely agree with you. But first, the board was given to me, and second, I need the practice, so even if the bow doesn't make, I'd have the experience. Then, if I like the design, I can find a better grained board and make one for real without ruining a perfectly good piece of wood. (I have another one just like it with better grain in storage, just in case  ;))

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:20 am »
Agree with George, but I have to confess I have gotten away with such horrible grain on maple but only on backings. Good luck
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:27:03 am »
How about a mollegabet bow??

I dont ever see any made from maple.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:29:58 am »
think it's possible to chase a ring on it? i've chased rings on a few hickory boards & liked the resulting bows

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:30:32 am »
Agree with George, but I have to confess I have gotten away with such horrible grain on maple but only on backings. Good luck

Hmmm, that's true. I do have some hickory backing strips... I wonder if this piece might like a hickory back?

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:34:01 am »
think it's possible to chase a ring on it? i've chased rings on a few hickory boards & liked the resulting bows

No, Jawge is correct, the grains are going every which way but loose. Ring chasing in this case is not an option.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:55:21 am »
...I would definitely back it.  Two failures in a row can be quite discouraging.  I think it would make an awesome hickory backed maple pyramid  bow.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 08:36:22 am »
Second the pyramid, fast and fun to make. You can glue a little reflex in with the backing too.
Like your work proff.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:38:33 am »
                  Back it....Hickory and Maple go well together...and as for the style....once it's backed....Modoc for sure......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 12:54:17 pm »
Hickory backed pyramid with semi-bendy handle ;)

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:16:41 pm »
My choice would be pyramid bow backed with bamboo. Hi- lite the boo knods and add a fancy dark handle with bone or horn tip over lays. Denny

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »
im all for a pyramid bow, as they are awesome, but i would go for a classic american flatbow design, but recurved. Slightly bending handle or a short non-bending handle. Or a pyramid bow. Both could be backed with linen or something else.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"