Author Topic: WHAT IN THE...?!?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

WHAT IN THE...?!?
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:19 am »
Just had the weirdest experience applying a snakeskin :o. I was in the process of putting a matched pair of diamondback skins on the limbs of a Modoc style bow and when I began to wipe the bow down to de-scale it I thought I somehow tore through the skin >:(. I was about to run through my entire repitoire of curse words when I noticed there was ANOTHER set of scales beneath the layer that tore ???. Turns out that the snake must have been in "Blue" when it had been harvested. I wet the skin down and began the peeling process revealing the most beautifully colored diamondback skin I had ever seen. Anyone who has ever owned a snake as a pet knows how amazingly beautiful the snakes look just-shed and this skin was no exception. Even has orange tones running through it. The skin is absolutely flawless; unfortunately, I had already applied the other skin and the "matched set" was no longer...oh well  :D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: WHAT IN THE...?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:48 am »
I think it will look cooler now that it has different colored diamondback skins... Now it has some character and a good story to go with it.   :)  I wanna see it when you get it all done.  I think it is gonna be beautiful...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:39:51 am »
"Before and After" ...her new name!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:43:06 am »
I've had a few "shed" while I was skinning them :)
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:08:22 am »
If you soak them for a couple of hours before applying them, they almost always do that.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:11:38 am »
I think that's just the outer scales coming off.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 02:28:48 am »
Yep...He was ready to Molt....and now He has...when they Shed...it brings out all the Highlights in the Skin....makes them look really cool....too bad it didn't start before you glued It down....that way you could have dyed the Back of the Bow Black.,...and really brought out the colors of the new Skin
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:09:08 am »
"Before and After" ...her new name!  ;D

Could not agree more.
Funny how things work......

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.