Author Topic: Silly experiments  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Badger

Silly experiments
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:31 am »
     I was reading a post on another sight and it made me think about some of the silly experiments I have tried. One of them that was somewhat successful was my solar steamer. I wrapped rubber inner tube strips around a stave and a form and shoved it into large  black pvc pipe with a small amount of water in it, came back 7 days later and it had pulled pretty much into shape, tips not lined up as well as I hoped but not too bad. I tried it agan and it had broken a limb while sitting in the sun, maybe I had it wrapped to tight. Steve

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: Silly experiments
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:54:30 am »
Did you pump steam into the pipe continously or jus let it sit?Any wood sitting in water for 7 days and then in sun cant be good IMO.I maybe misunderstanding your concept but you could be onto something because any wood subjected to pressure and moisture will take the set,so maybe some fine tweaking is in order?got any pics?
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:59:44 am »
i might have to investigate this.....
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:07:08 am »
yes For sure,got all kinds of crazy thoughts runnin thru me head!!I had thought of makin a steam tube to put a bow in then strap it to a form while its pliable.Seen an ols modoc bow i think i could replicate like that.What wood steam bends the best yet retains it shape?HMMMMMMMMMMMMM??

Southwest,VA

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:46:58 am »
Thw, it was supposed to be a thermal device so it just sat in the sun, the water was in the bottom of the tub which was laying on it's side. I should have used a thermometer so I am not sure how hot it got, I would imagine about 160 to 170, it felt very hot to the touch. Steve

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:39 am »
wonder if you could jus reverse brace it and get sufficient results?

Southwest,VA

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:04 am »
Nutty experiments are what makes bow making interesting, I have a few in the planning stage now. If they turn out to be a disaster no one will know about them but if they work out, people may make better shooting bows in the future.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »
Makes me think of the talk we had here a few years back about soaking bows in water for a while to see if it would improve their strength properties.  At the time I was thinking of throwing a stave into a Beaver pond and letting it sit for a year or so and then make a bow out of it, never did do that. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:22:15 pm »
Hmmmm,may be something to that marc. May have to give that a shot

Southwest,VA

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:26:26 pm »
I thought about making a bbi with a hollow center but never tried it. I figure it would most likely get crushed. I did just recently see a really fast bow that had thin bamboo lams  running on edge down the center but on the side all you could see was ipe. The belly was flat boo and the back as well. Super fast, sweet shooting bow
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 11:20:47 pm »
Hmmmm,may be something to that marc. May have to give that a shot

The reason that thought came to me is that I always found that Poplar with the bark chewed off that we would find along lakes and Beaver ponds always seemed to be quite a bit harder to break for making a fire than wood collected on dry land.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:35 pm »
Beaver whiz, the secret ingredient we've all been seeking?  Here I thought it was buffalo juice?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:11:37 am »
Mark, I imagine primitive man discovered a lot simply by observing things in nature, little things like you mentioned. Steve

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 12:51:09 am »
Marc, I think you're on to something about water and moisture creating harder wood.  Just what is the seasoning process of wood?  Is it just time?  I doubt it.  IMHO  It's the natural flow of moisture in and out of the wood that occures over time.  And probably tempeture changes along with it.  Moisture and temp changes caused wood to expand and contract which I think helps tighten the fibers.  What if we controlled the moisture and temp to exelerated this process?  Could we in a year "season" a piece of wood in manner that would take say 10 years during the natural process.

I have no scientific proof of any of this, just my observations and ponderings.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 12:57:50 am »
Marc i have noticed that too!!My buddys pond jus became a science experiment!!

Southwest,VA