Author Topic: Splinter advice needed  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Sanford

Splinter advice needed
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:00:35 pm »
Hey guys, thought I'd put this here to maybe draw more viewers. I have a builda along going and got a bamboo splinter, just wanted some advice ont hat, you can check out the buildalong and pics here

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,20563.0.html

Thanks guys!
I am the captain of my fate, I am the master of my soul...

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: Splinter advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:51 am »
I'm no expert,jus my 2cents,if you get mid limb bending more it will take some stress off da limbs where that splinter lifted.If you sanded nodes not sure if it will hold up to 75# regardless.As for the f-word,If you get to much material on the back and over power the belly looks to me the belly will fail.If it was me and i'm good at fixin mistakes becuz I'm hard headed and Have to see!!I would rip that boo off and put another piece on if you got it.Thats jus me.Great lookin bow and cant wait to see the end results.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:28 am »
No expert either but I would super glue it down and rap it with a thread or sinew rap and hope the others didn't do the same thing. I did that on one a guy gave me and that was several years ago,it is still holding,of course it wasn't nearly as heavy weight.  :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J05H

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:09:08 am »
Although I've yet to do a laminate, I think if I were in your situation I would glue it down with a good gap filler like Urac, lower the weight some, then wrap both ends of the splinter.  This way you've addressed the splinter you already have as well as the possibility of more lifting in the future.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Sanford

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:51 am »
Josh- OK so i do have some Urac and Bow grip, so either would be good there i think.

I was thinking of gluing that down good, then, maybe puting a silk or fiberglass backing on the whole bow, maybe a little extra at the splinter. I was thinking this because I think the nodes got sanded down to much in the first place and this caused the failure. A whole backing would help prevent a splinter somewhere else.

But I am definitely planning on lowering the weight. And i figure if I glue it down, then put on the thin** backing and then tiller to a lower weight, if I'm still worried i might wrap the ends of the splinter?

Hows that sounding?

**I say thin because i don't want to over power the belly of the bow...I just need something to prevent splinter from raising

Offline J05H

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:47 am »
I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do.  I have never worked with bamboo. I've only done selfbows so far. I just wouldn't want to cover the bamboo up with another backing.  I think if you bring the weight down to say 55lbs or so, you shouldn't have to worry about another splinter because the bow will be under much less stress. But just because that's what I think doesn't make it right. You should get some other opinions before you decide what to do.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Sanford

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:51:20 am »
Josh- i wasn't trying to have you bear the decision for me! Thanks for your input though! I'm collecting info from a bunch of differrent sources.

And a backing of the entire bow is what will probably happen, though it ruins the look of the bamboo, I will feel much better.