Author Topic: steel ?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
steel ?
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:18:28 am »
Buddy gave me 2 industrial hacksaw blades. Both are .088 thick. One is tungston the other molybdenum. Are they gonna be good for knives and trade points? If so what's the best way to cut, shape, sharpen, heat treat? Thanks in advance
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
Re: steel ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »
the one that has moly in it is not that bad, i have used a moly bearing steel before. but the tungsten one? not sure if you can work wolfram with normal tools. if it is just the teeth that is wolfram, grind em off if you can. then take the blade set it outside for a few days. if it rust promptly the next morn it is not a stain resistant steel. if it does resist rust well. then...ask someone else! lol cause i only use 440-c, the rest i use is the carbon series of steels.

one way to ttest is heat the end till it is a nice cherry red(in the dark, cause in the light heat is hard to judge)get a magnet and see if the glowing end is magnetic. if it is not then you are good to go, then quench in oil, then quench another pice in water. see if either cracks. if they dont crack and come out ok. then get a hammer and hit the steel at an angle. if it shatters(and it will if it hardens) then you can work it.

sorry if this confuses anyone. it is a hard and fast way to test steels of a unknown alloy.

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:48:39 pm »
im not confused.  my two favorite things, fire and hitting stuff with a hammer!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »
and if it does crack and shatter then you can just anneal it by heating it to a cherry red to just under a straw heat and then you can bury it sand,drilling mud,or any thing that wont flash on you and let it cool real slow for 24 hours and then re test it to see if it will shatter again if you did it rite it wont. all annealing does is separate the molecules further apart then having them close together as they once were gl and if you have any question just pm or call and i can help you more

sterling
361-935-1715 
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline jamie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »
So I guess I'm gonna need a forge for this. Couple of my buddies have em and I want to build one any ways. Good winter project. Thanks guys. I'll let ya know how I make out.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:56 pm »
if its thin steel you wont need a forge a propane torch will do or a oxy.acet torch heck a hair dryer some charcoal and a small pot will work lol
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:39:40 pm »
yeah make an iron age forge.just a shallow hole in the ground with a pipe or tunnel leading to an air source.and like sky arrow said, use a torch. i have not had much luck with propane, so i use mapp instead.

Offline jamie

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »
Cool I got mapp

waterbury, ct