Author Topic: Belt/Disc Sander  (Read 14074 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Belt/Disc Sander
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:41 am »
I want to get a new one and want recommendations.  David Knight had a nice one at the Classic, so I hope he pitches in  if it is still going strong or if he still likes it.  I buy mostly Craftsman hand tools, but have not had as much luck with electric tools.  Anyone like Ryobi?  Lowes has a "PORTER-CABLE  4" x 8" Bench Belt/Disc Sander" for $179, which is less than what I was wanting to spend ($200 or so).  Thanks for any tips!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:22:33 am by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Belt/Disc Sander
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:44:11 am »
If you have room and can turn loose more cash I would abandon the 6X36 idea and go with a 6X48. I had a Delta 4X36 that got the job done but had plastic drive components and needed repair often. My delta was under powered and I could bog it down quite easily.

If you want a real workhorse (I have one) this is the sander I would buy.

grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:30:10 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline kerryb

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:05:36 pm »
I agree with Eric, Grizzly is the way to go.
Milan Mo

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 02:31:33 pm »
I've been running my Grizzly 6x48 for over 20 years. 40 grit  belts make short work of tapering lams and shaping tips.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »
I was a power tool repairman for 10 years. One thing I can tell you: Don't buy any Craftsman power tools. If it needs repair, you won't find a tool repair shop that will touch them. Too hard to get parts. They're also homeowner-grade stuff for building birdhouses once ina while. Won't stand up to heavy use. Delta used to be a good tool, but their quality took a major nosedive. Those stationary belt sanders they sell are chock full of plastic parts. Ryobi is basically a homeowner-grade tool, in the same league with Craftsman power tools. Porter Cable used to have a good line-up of portable power tools, but I think they get their stationary line from Delta, as they were both owned by the same company back in the late 1990s when I was repairing them. Most "American" brand power tools are made in China and all coming from the same factory. They just ask what color they want the plastic housing (and have slight differences in the plastic housing between brands.)

Grizzly is, indeed, the best you're going to find. Yes, many of them are Chinese made but guess what? So is just about everything Milwaukee makes now including their Sawzalls, Portabands, Hole Hawgs, and everything else that used to be American made. I can guarantee Delta and Porter Cable are made in China, and made fairly cheaply at that. The advantage of Grizzly is their factories copied U.S. made industrial tools from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. If I had to buy a stationary power tool, based on what I know repairing them, I'd buy a Grizzly. There's some top-notch stationary power tools coming out of Germany, too, but you're going to pay top-notch prices for those----and rightfully so, as they're worth that kind of money.

If Grizzly is beyond your price range, the Porter Cable would be ok for a while. But pay attention to it. At the first squeel or howl or funny noise, shut it down and check your pulleys and see if they're loose (tighten the nut and might be left-hand threads) and check the bearings on the pulley shafts. The cheaper power tools are notorious for using bearings that are too small and, hence, wear faster. (Smaller bearings are cheaper.) Provided it uses ball bearings and not bronze bushings. If it uses bronze bushings, you must keep those oiled well. You have to baby it. Don't push it or bog it down. Bogging it is what will eventually burn up your motor (armature and field and those two parts are a couple hundred dollar repair.) The switches on these are weak links and like to break. Don't be shutting it on and off; get your work staged and do it all at one shot without turning it on/off/on/off.  The switches are not expensive to replace, though. Never use a thin extension cord on these. Use a nice, thick extension cord. Thin extension cords are what burns up motors on tools drawing a lot of amps. Right off the bat, download and print a parts diagram and learn what parts are where and what the part numbers are. Learn how to fix the thing yourself. And many of them have funny little tricks invoved in disassembly, so pay attention to every detail as you take it apart. I can't count how many times I got in "tool-in-a-box" that someone took apart to fix and didn't remember how to put it back together. If you have a local tool repair shop with an older guy running it, it's better to use that shop for repairs and pay the guy what he asks. The newer power tool repairmen I've been seeing, well, to be honest, if I was not a power tool repairman, I'd still try doing it myself rather than going to them. I learned from "old timers" and a lot of the new guys haven't even heard of half the things I learned.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:24:35 pm by Tsalagi »
Living a dream...

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 04:02:20 pm »
My craftsman 6 x 48 is going strong, purchased in 1980.   Once i had Sears come out, take it apart and haul the cast iron bed back to the factory to be milled flat, then return and re-assemble it the tool has run real well, that was bout 1984......the dang bed just WARPED.....

But, overall, it has been a good tool.  It can move lots of wood with a 40 grit belt on it and does fast and efficient finishing work with a fine belt.   

I'd never go smaller if i had to replace it.  And, by the way, i use it commercially, so it gets more hours of run time than most home owner tools do. 

piper
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:05:47 pm by islandpiper »

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »
Yes, a Craftsman stationary tool made in 1980 is probably a good one. Back then, Craftsman was getting them in from probably Delta or a couple other stationary power tool companies that are long-since out of business. American-made. Like they were getting "Ted Williams" brand firearms from Marlin/Glenfield or Remington back in the day.

But a Craftsman power tool today is a far cry from those days. Some things in power tools have gotten better. Cordless tools today are better than they were when they first came out. But the quality of American brand stationary power tools has gone down drastically. Craftsman stationary power tools today, well, they say you get what you pay for---and sometimes you don't even get that much.

American power tools "brands" really don't mean anything anymore. Right now, there's a company marketing "Rockwell" brand power tools. This to cash in on the fact Rockwell International used to own the Porter Cable line, back in the 1960s and 1970s. So, people have seen those industrial grade tools from back in the day and now think they're getting that today with the "Rockwell" brand coming out. Well, no. It's only a name. Rockwell International ceased to exist in the early 1990s. It's not the same thing. The same with DeWalt. DeWalt used to make radial arm saws. Black and Decker then owned it and just used the name trying to get people to think that old company that made radial arm saws was now making those yellow tools that are exactly the same as Black and Deckers. Now Black&Decker/DeWalt also owns Porter Cable. American companies use famous names to market product and you pay for that name---not for the quality that was once associated with that brand name back decades ago.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:28:46 pm by Tsalagi »
Living a dream...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 06:11:32 pm »
Hi, My name is Howie Hill and I build longbows...wanna buy one for um, lemme see $1,000?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience with us Tsalagi.  Nothing worse than a cheap tool when you are pouring your heart into a project.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:34:25 pm »
 That is a sad commentary on where we are today.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:21 am »
You don't need a durn $1,000 sander to make a few bows. I have a Ryobi that I got at Lowe's several years ago for about $150 and I've ground a helluva lot of wood, antler, horn, metal, and everything else on it. Never had a bit of a problem and it'll grind a piece of wood just as good as the expensive one. If it don't last thirty years, so what- I can buy five more for what one top-end one would cost. If you're setting up a professional woodworking shop where you're going to be using it ten hours a day, that's one thing. But for what most of us do, you don't have to have a pro-grade tool to flatten some bow tips, grind a piece of bamboo flat, or shape a knife handle.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:18:04 am »
You don't need a durn $1,000 sander to make a few bows. I have a Ryobi that I got at Lowe's several years ago for about $150 and I've ground a helluva lot of wood, antler, horn, metal, and everything else on it. Never had a bit of a problem and it'll grind a piece of wood just as good as the expensive one. If it don't last thirty years, so what- I can buy five more for what one top-end one would cost. If you're setting up a professional woodworking shop where you're going to be using it ten hours a day, that's one thing. But for what most of us do, you don't have to have a pro-grade tool to flatten some bow tips, grind a piece of bamboo flat, or shape a knife handle.
Yes sir....
Ryobi is what I have been using for the last 6 years. I grind laminations and boo backings with it all the time, not to mention horn and everything else like Hillbilly said. I have finally started to get some slippage on the drive belt, but I ordered a new one for $7 and I have a new sander.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »
I have bought most of my power tools off of craigslist.com.  I have bought older craftsman and ryobi band saws and sanders.  They seem to be well made and I got them at a great price.  I make maybe 4-6 bows a year with them.  I would rather own a 10 or 15 year old Craftsman tool than a new one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 01:38:29 am »
A Ryobi in hand is worth two Grizzlies on a "wish list".  ;D
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 02:56:54 am »
I have a Craftsman 2" X 42" Belt/6" Disc Sander Combo...and a Ryobi Occillating Drum Sander....and both have been making Bows and Knives for Years so far....without w Peep...but the first time one dies....I will buy another Cheapo...without the Extended Warranty they try to push you to get...I am with Hillbilly here....you can buy a lifetime of Cheapo Grinders  that last 6-10 year .....for the price of one Grizzly
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:17 am »
I have a craftsman rescued from dumpster diving ;D Works fine, and if it breaks, all it cost me was about 2 minutes of my time. Wish I could run across those 'deals' more often lol

As far as craftsman goes...You may be right about the grade, but I bought a 19.2V set that had a drill, corner sander, circular sw, jig saw, fluorescent light (MY FAVORITE PIECE!!) and a little dust devil type vaccum for $80 on the clearance aisle at Sears. Shoot Ive got $85 of use just out of the light.