Author Topic: New Bag Old Horn  (Read 3886 times)

Grunt

New Bag Old Horn
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:54:29 pm »
After shooting all my flintlocks lately I figured I had better make a horn and bag for my English Fowler. I dug out my leather, cut out and sewed up a bag, built a priming horn and a powder measure. I was going to build a powder horn but as I was digging through my shooting chest I turned up one I built a long time ago. I don't throw away nothin. The bag was built last week and the horn has a saying I scratched on it when I built it it reads  " Powder and Brother Ball, With Sharp Flint we Conquer All, 1980". Both the fowler and the pistol shoot a .615 roundball, buck and ball or shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: New Bag Old Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:12:20 pm »
 That is one sweet set. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:33:20 am »
That is a very nice set!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:30:48 pm »
Papa's got a brand new bag!  ;D

I know...I know....bad pun... ;)
Living a dream...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:17 pm »
Takes balls to shoot them ol' flinters.  Proud to say I own two flinters and a double barrel 10 ga caplock. 

Nice bag, Grunt, has a real traditional look to it.  Sweet looking horn, too.  I seem to remember a version of your verse on an original  Rev War powderhorn somewhere. 

The armed man is a citizen, the unarmed a subject.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:06:19 am »
i like that alot. just got a cap and ball .44 pistol with a twelve inch barrel on it. its a beast. :D i have a bag but i need a horn.
lets just shoot it

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:00 pm »
Takes balls to shoot them ol' flinters.  Proud to say I own two flinters and a double barrel 10 ga caplock. 

Nice bag, Grunt, has a real traditional look to it.  Sweet looking horn, too.  I seem to remember a version of your verse on an original  Rev War powderhorn somewhere. 

The armed man is a citizen, the unarmed a subject.

I researched the bag in The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch by Madison Grant. I met Madison at Friendship Indiana back in the 80's and bought a signed copy directly from him. Got his The Knife In Homespun America also. If I load the hand cannon with 55 grains of 2F, nine .32 cal buck and a patched .615 ball it will just about erase anything within 20 feet. If I miss I can grab the gun by it's barrel and use it as a club. It is steel, brass and ebony. Could always escape in the cloud of smoke if needed. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »
Hmmm, makes me wonder if you subscribe to "On The Trail" ?  Getting to be a lot of us Historical Trekkers making primitive archery and reading the pages of Primitive Archer.  Lot of overlapped interests.

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:04 am »
Hmmm, makes me wonder if you subscribe to "On The Trail" ?  Getting to be a lot of us Historical Trekkers making primitive archery and reading the pages of Primitive Archer.  Lot of overlapped interests.

Never heard of "On the Trail" I'll google it up and see what is is about. Thanks for the heads up about it. I've been a student of American history for a long time. I was a member of the AMM years ago #951.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »
 On the Trail is a great magazine. I met the editor and owner last year at the Alafia River Rendevous, nice guy.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:11 am »
Since it is not in direct competition with Primitive Archer, it should be ok to remark on this publication, right?

Jason Gatliff, editor, publisher, and owner of OTT is a great guy and has taken that magazine to levels far beyond the original magazine.  For those of you that are not familiar, on the masthead of the magazine they bill themselves as "The Journal for Historical Trekkers, Reenactors, & Students of Living History - 1600 to 1840"  Kinda says it all.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I apologize.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:14:57 am »
 ;)
Lakeland, Florida