Author Topic: This years tree stand bow  (Read 11996 times)

Offline venisonburger

This years tree stand bow
« on: April 07, 2007, 06:40:24 pm »
Osage, 48" 57# sinew backed, lightly recurved tips. Handle is wrapped hemp. Good shooter. I'll break it in more when it warms up, if it ever does. This was an ebay stave from last year, I forget the dealer but I think it cost me $20. I painted the back with a brownish camo on top of the sinew, don't know if I like it, I may see about catching some northern pike this summer and putting fish skin on it. VB

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: This years tree stand bow
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:13 pm »
....Cool lookin' 'sage shorty" venison maker" VB !  ;)..bob

jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 07:32:36 pm »
wow very nice. 48" and your string angle is still not at 90. excellent.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:58:44 pm »
I like short bows and this one is an excellent one :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 08:02:22 pm »
Thats a heck of bend in a short bow VB one hell of a job. Hey can I say hell?
Can't see yer paint job to good please post a pic of the back.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 08:47:39 pm »
Nice VB, whats the draw length. It looks like a screamer.  I have never made a shorty. How does it shoot? 
Dana, I don't know if you can or not, but I think heck was just as effective. So why would you need to?   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:49:51 pm »
I stand corrected oh mighty global moderator ::)

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:03:41 pm »
Draw length is up to 26" I'm not fully extended so the full draw pics are about 24"it shoots well, I need to fashion a small arrow rest cause I'm tearing my hand up on the fletching. It seems pretty quick. Tell me what you think of the paint scheme Dana, just keep it clean, lol
VB

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 09:12:39 pm »
Not bad VB, I had good luck using cedar leaves as a stencil, spray paint the back flat black then spread out some
cedar leaves and lightly spray over with the next color, let dry, rearrange the leaves and repaet with another color.
I found some camo paint at the hardware store its ultra flat. Works good and dries fast. Look up my post "camo bow" if ya want to see how it looks.
I like the cordage handle it makes for a sure grip. wonder how one of ferrets floppy rests would look?

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 09:19:40 pm »
Thanks VB, I probably ought to make something like that for the really thick areas. 
Dana, try carrot tops some time. They look real cool in the camp pattern.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:08:55 am »
Great little bow VB. That tiller is perfect. Have you ever tried the Ferret's Floppy Rest? They easy to make, work very well and keep the fletching from getting your hand. I have a couple of bows that get my hand and am gonna change to a floppy rest.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jbell

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 01:29:56 am »
Gotta love them shorty's. Great lookin bow all around, love the braced profile. Tiller looks great,  probably draws pretty smooth with those string angles. Great job!  Justin
Justin Blunt

jamie

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 09:32:18 am »
vb chances are if the fletchings are tearing you up your nock point is too low. try raising it. i shoot unwrapped fletching off the hand all the time with no tearing. could be its just rideing on all the scar tissue though. lol. if your nock height isnt proper even a smooth silk wrapping will tear ya up.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:20:53 am »
Nice lethal looking lil' weapon- should be right at home in the stand.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 01:27:06 pm »
I'll try raising the nock point, all my arrows are wrapped, If I don't have to put a rest I'd rather not. It seems to draw pretty smooth, next week it'll get broken in more.
Thanks for the kind words, especially for this bow since it's my own personal bow, as opposed to one I'd give away, this one is family.
VB