Author Topic: What knappable rocks are there in Oregon?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
What knappable rocks are there in Oregon?
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:56:44 pm »
I live on the coast out of Tillamook Or. Are there any good stones for knapping around me? If so what are they? thanks Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: What knappable rocks are there in Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »
Obsidian
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »
Oregon also has Dacite and all kinds of jaspers and agates. go to the library and check some geology and gem collecting books.
Steve

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:11:04 pm »
Agates are also knapp worthy? I find football and even basketball size agates on the hidden beaches here in my home town erea. Is there anyway to know what ones will work? Thanks Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »
They should all work, as long as they do not have big fracture lines in them.  Break some open and have fun.  Also glass buttes in Oregon has more knappable obsidian and dacite than you could imagine.

Good luck.

tell
Tell Riley

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »
I would look it up on the NET if I was in Oregon Id be in heaven...lol  there are so many types of knappable material its unreal...

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Newbow

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:19:41 pm »
Agates and jaspers generally need heat treatment before they are knappable.  It would be worth your time and energy to head off to Glass Buttes for a weekend.  Highway 20 east of Bend, toward Burns.  Turn right just before mile post 77.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:13:25 pm »
Thankyou all for all your replys i think i will making a trip to the glass buttes sometime soon to do some prospecting and collect some material thanks.