Author Topic: red oak selfbow 56"  (Read 4571 times)

kinkfeather

red oak selfbow 56"
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:59:58 am »
does any one believe a shorter limb bow stores more energy quicker than a longer limb.i wonder at 15 yds does it make a difference.i am shooting for 45/50 lbs @ 25".i can move my archor point up 2".why wuold i do that well i want to shoot out of my hunting blind.i can stay longer in a blind than out in the open no thyroids had cancer.the limbs are 1 1/2" at riser to 1/2" at tip.small riser 4" no fades.getting the tiller wright an poundage will be fun.kink

Offline Kegan

Re: red oak selfbow 56"
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »
Shorter limbs store LESS energy but have less INERTIA. The best compromise is to sinew or laminate the bow into several inches of reflex.

The thing is, a 56" D bow drawing only 50# @ 25" won't be so overstressed that it would be unmanagable. Made from a good wood like Osage, ipe, or tempered white woods, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a great blind hunting bow.

Jay Massey used 56-58" sinew backed flatbows pulling 65-75# at around 26" hunting in Alaska and had no problems on moose, deer, etc. I'm sure you can get it done just as well :)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »
joe for what its worth heres my two pennies.for what your talking about i would cut me a pyramid 56inch bow go either bendy handle or small rigid handle your choice. tiller the bow till it will brace about five inches evenly and you can half draw it with 20lbs of force. then either steam or dry heat in about 3 or 4 inches of reflex to the tips . i like to do this after some tillering but i dont want to wait till the end ,if the tips are too thin the recurve wont hold.also dont stress these recurves untill their cooled off . once this cools off use a rawhide backing glued on with TB 2 or 3 . i would suggest rawhide just from my expirence with red oak. give your hide 24 hours to cure and it can be trimmed and sanded. after this you can finish tillering your bow to your length and weight. it would be possible to make this bow without rawhide but for a shorty a few minutes extra would be insurance. good luck

kinkfeather

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »
ken,can you use swade leather and what kind of glue are you talking about.kink

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:15:18 pm »
Leather does not have the same properties as rawhide. I've been told it is weaker and heavier.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Muler44

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:47:44 pm »
I believe the glue Ken is referring to is TitebondII or III.

kinkfeather

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »
thanks alot muler.kink

kinkfeather

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 01:37:41 pm »
55" from nock to nock.the bow figures 2.5 lbs per 1" =27"@ 67 lbs.but i am not shooting 27" probably 21"@ 52.5 lbs.this dude will be smoken.the feathers will have flames on them.some people say you cant shoot that short of draw accurately why not.i am only shooting at the most 15 yds.if i can not get a deer at 15 yds then i do not need to shoot it.it is all in elevation an windage.i do not believe that will effect me at all.the tiller looks grate.i am so excited as a little boy in a toy store.kink

kinkfeather

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:16:01 pm »
bow blew up too much poundage.kink

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50:37 pm »
well joe ive never counted but im sure ive broken 20 or more, and im probably not done. ive built 31 since november last year and im working on number 32 right now 62 inch static recurve . go grab another board and get started on the bow you wanted that one to be .and have fun . ken

Offline Jay

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 11:38:25 pm »
Sorry to here you lost one. I snapped one ,a red oak-longbow,yesterday... this gves me a chance to start on a new piece of wood. This time hickory  :)

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jay