Author Topic: MY SECOND BOW,, wierd success  (Read 4530 times)

Offline 15yearold.archer

MY SECOND BOW,, wierd success
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:58:06 am »
hey guys im done the bow i was talking about, i had told you guys about a 4 layer handle i was going to have, it looked great theres even a picture i got of it that i attached to this anyways when i had the handle on the bow was pulling 50 pounds unfortunatly the fades were not long enough and the handle poped off , i tried to put it back on but it kept happening so i accepted what i had its basically just a D bow looks pretty good actualy but now i guess with the new shape  its not pulling 50 anymore but  40 pounds instead ,although im very comfortable shooting it and it puts a carbon arrow with a target point through an old floor board AND i am very accurate with it im still kinda looking for a little more pounds so i can get a nice clean kill if i get a chance at a deer this year so i was going to see if i should take an inch off each tip.. and lower the nocks an inch, it would then be 66" n/n instead of 68" would it hold ? and would i gain some poundage?.. or do you think i should just leave it the way i have it its shooting pretty well but 40 pounds is sorta on the lower side of a good bow for deer, but one more thing to put into play, the bow may actualy be more than 40 pounds because the string im using stretches a tiny bit i think and if that were the case then its actualy a bit heavier i just cant see it on the scale , ill know once i get the proper string.. but just tell me what you guys think and i can post a better picture in the day light if you guys want just let me know thanks..and the picture on the wooden floor is the bow before the handle popped off the other two or pictures of what i have now .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: MY SECOND BOW,, wierd success
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:21:01 am »
Much improved tiller from your first bow.. good job man!   :)  Tiller looks good!  I have had handles pop off my board bows too.  Happens to the best of us.  What did you glue it on with?  I wouldn't cut it down to make it a heavier bow if you've narrowed the handle.  You can reinforce the handle area some by layering pieces of thick leather soaked in titebond glue.  Just glue them on and taper them like you did the wooden handle.  The difference is the leather will still bend with the wood and hopefully won't pop off.   :)  Good luck.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:31:49 am »
Thanks alot and I used lepage carpenters glue . . But cutting it down wouldn't be a good idea?  Cause its pretty flexible I pulled it to 29" I only need 26 but if not then I will try the leather thing not sure I fully unnderstand though

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:38:18 am »
If you've narrowed the handle it is weaker now that the reinforcement has popped off.  By piking it you increase the weight which also increases the risk of it breaking in half.  Alot of stress is in the handle area because of the leaverage of the limbs. You don't ever want to narrow the handle if you don't also make it thicker.  I would leave it alone and call it a successful bow, if you pike it you run the risk of breaking it at the handle.  Oh and get some Titebond II or Titebond III wood glue.  It is some strong stuff and great for bow building.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 01:52:14 am »
Ill be sure to.  And the bows about 42 pounds if I practiced enough with it when it comes hunting time why wouldn't it kill a deer woth a well placed shot.carbon arrow an a 4 blade head at 15 yrds id say its enough

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:44 am »
Glad it ended up a shooter.

I'd be interested to see a picture at ful draw if you turned the bow over so the top limb becomes the bottom one. Looks a bit like the bow as you are shooting it has a stiffer upper and weaker lower limb - which would be more balanced if it was the other way round.

Mark in England

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 06:31:29 am »
Very nice,tiller looks good,your a quick learner.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:28:12 am »
 Your tiller looks real good with this one. You can probally stiffen up the handle area some by glueing thin lams of wood where your other pieces popped off. Then wrap the area with glue soaked leather.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline colejack3

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:56 am »
looks real good ;D I think wood is better for hunting if your arrows are the right kind of wood. remember just because its "primitive" doesnt mean its no good. Sometimes IMO primitive is better

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:10:45 am »
That bow looks real good. The others pointed you in the right direction on the handle.   Great job.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:54:44 am »
Bow looks great, excellent tiller. It sure looks like you know what your're doing. Good job. I can't wait to see more from you.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 06:12:13 pm »
Scott's comment about heavier arrow holds true as long as you don't try to shoot too heavy an arrow.  The "standard", whatever the heck that may be, is about 10 grains for every pound of draw weight.  Your 42 lb bow will spit out 420 grain arrows nice and flat, but if you go up to about 450-475 you will still shoot pretty flat out to 15 yards and it will punch deeper into the deer.  If you avoid the multi-blade hoopla that the modern archery advertising agencies are pushing and stay with a simple two blade broadhead you will easily take out both lungs on a deer.

Good luck, and great work on this bow-looks pretty nice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 12:52:42 am »
First good job on your bow. Yes we have all popped a handle. I agree with Josh, don't pike this one. Next bow try adding a taper shim under your handle run it out 14 inches over all and center you handle on top. Now work your fades to the handle and blend all the handle in.. Make s a pretty handle and it won't pop! Also get some urac 185 and glue it on with that .. Put under a heat lamp or !00 watt light bulb for an hour and see how tuff it is! Denny

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 01:36:06 am »
what is a taper shim.? im guessing its just a thin piece of wood if it is i have red oak in quarter inchs strips aswell that goes ontop of the handle area in your bow you then blend it into the fades and bow and the handle sits on top of that ?
 if it is i have red oak in quarter inchs strips aswell and as for the glue i will look for it

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 03:06:37 am »
Hey, now that's more like it! Excellent tiller. It's pretty tough to keep a glued on handle to stay with a bow that bends through the handle. Good job!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:53:41 pm by adb »