Author Topic: Tiller check Please...  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Stefan

Tiller check Please...
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:40:10 am »
Hi,

I am currently working on my 2nd bow, its a ash flatbow with glue up handle (wenge and mystery nice grained wood) Total length is a bit over 66" or 168,5 centimeter. I am aiming for 35-40# at 26''

Please let me know where I should scrape/sands some more.....

Greeting form the Netherlands,

Stefan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Tiller check Please...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:47:54 am »
From the fads out several inches on both limbs.I would stay off mid limb area till you catch the other up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:07:32 am »
Make yourself one of these and it will tell you where to scrape, absolutely fool proof.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

I guess you guys get tired of me always putting a link to my tillering gizmo on almost every tillering thread but lots of beginners have overlooked it somehow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:33:30 pm »
Never get tired of you Eric.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:18:01 pm »
Too many straight lines in there aka wood that is freeloading on all the other bending wood, cheeky bleedin wood. ;)

If the design is is a stiff handle then it should be only the handle thats stiff. Dont get me wrong it will fling an arra but if you want a little more longevitiy spread the loads across all the wood except the last 7-8 or so inches of the tips. Dont let that none bending wood get away with it!

Happy shavings :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:04:13 am by dwardo »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »
Nice to see you building bows, stefan. Please don't see me as too critical. I can be abrupt at times. That bow should not have been strung. I'd at least lower the brace height to 3 inches measured from the back. Do not draw the stave any further until you fix the problems. First, the handle taper needs to extend into the board or it will pop off. Second, all the bending is happening right around mid limb or so. You need more bending from the fades to mid limb. Then no more at the place where all the bending is happening. Then about ten inches from the end needs bending. I think you need to look at well tillered bows so take a good look at the Selfbow of the Month here at PA. I used to stand back at shoots and watch shooters as they drew. Here's my site to help you. That's my advice. :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »
George is right about premature stringing. That hingy place in the right limb will come back to haunt you because that section of wood is badly overstressed.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:35 pm »
I think you are on your way to doing grat bows, Stefan.  You have a tillering stand where you can stand back and see what is happening when the bow bends, and now you have the link to the plans to build Eric's little miracle tool, AND the linmk to George's site. 

Yes, George says he can be a little abrupt, but he is just getting to the point quickly.  He would never make a remark to be hurtful.  For that matter, we weed out the spiteful people around here pretty quick. 

Keep posting pictures, Stefan. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.