Author Topic: Rawhide backing ?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Rawhide backing ?
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:24:34 pm »
I was wanting to back a short vine maple bow with rawhide but im not sure if it has to be a certian thickness, glue ect. if you have any good thread links, tips, or info i would much appretiate it. thanks Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Gordon

Re: Rawhide backing ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »
It's best to use thin rawhide, especially if you want it to conform nicely to the contours of a vine maple back. I use either goat or deer rawhide for that. For glue, I prefer liquid hide glue, but Titebond white glue works well also.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:08:25 pm »
Thanks for the info
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »
I have some beautiful elk hide , if you want to trade something for it. or contact me and we can make some other arrangement. Denny P.S. it is the right thickness and better than cowhide or deer in my opinion. Denny

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:21:37 am »
I've had incredible luck with antelope rawhide.  It's almost as thin as a sheet of typing paper and tougher than...erm, uh, well...rawhide!

There is a guy in the classified ads in PA that sells antelope rawhide strips, his name is Michael Foltmer and is out of Evans Colorado.  I think he gets something like $20 for a pair of strips, but he'll send you a whole speedgoat hide for about $37 and you can back about 5 bows.  The goat hide I got was as big as some of the mule deer hides I get here in South Dakota! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.