Author Topic: twist question. with pics!  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Frode

twist question. with pics!
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:12:06 pm »
Hi all,
I'm working on a pyramid bow with decorative tip overlays, all hickory, 58" ntn, linen backed, for peace of mind (mine  ;)), and because the future owner will be decorating it with her coat of arms, etc., in a manner similar to this one http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19406.15.html, except that she will be doing the artwork and final finish.  The bow is for target use only, and the owner, who is petite, has requested a light draw weight of 30#@22".

So here's my question.  One of the limbs has a persistent twist, meaning, as I lower the weight moving toward target, I've removed wood from one side of the belly, then the other, and it doesn't seem to have any effect.  The string tracks right down the middle, and while it's not done yet, the tiller seems acceptable.
Should I remove more from the left, or the right (as seen in the pics), or is it an issue?  I'm stumped.   ???
Your learnings greatly appreciated, as always,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: twist question. with pics!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:58:41 pm »
It's fine, leave it.
The balance between being perfectionist and foolhardy is a fine one.
It's easy to end up with no bow at all if you tinker too much.
I'm messing with an awful piece of Hawthorn at the moment, the grain pops out at all sorts of angles and twists and turns making the limb stiff in odd places. I'm persisting just to see how it turns out, but I've just about hit the 'leave the darned thing alone' point.
Of course somtimes it's easier for others to recongnise the point.
Now put your hands in the air and step away from the bow ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:29:12 pm »
Kind of the answer I was hoping for, Del, it is at the point where much more tinkering could ruin it.  ;D
Thanks,
Frode

half eye

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »
Frode,
      I've had few like that....just went with it. The tiller looks good enough to eat.....string it and shoot it. Interestingly, some of those bows were really accurate shooters twist and all.
Rich

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »
Thanks Rich!  That's good to know.  With a little luck I'll have this one shooting by mid week.
Frode

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »
Good answer, ignore the twist unless it is so bad it pops the strings off when drawn!  hehe. 

Frode, gimme some close up shots of those tip overlays!  The teaser view in the first pic really has my curiosity up.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:31 pm »
Here you go, JW.  They're still a bit rough.  I did some a while back on a similar bow (I was going for some NOMADIC PIRATE style wrapped nocks, but couldn't get comfortable with the results I was getting, so I bailed and tried some overlays), the Lady for whom this bow is intended saw them and requested something similar.  Not really period, maybe not primitive, probably not the most efficient, but hey...  :D
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:54:17 am »
Frode. Pretty common with hickory ,I have worked with. Mine have done the same . I agree with what has been said. A nice character bow, and fine tiller and I really like your tips. Shoot her till she quits.. ! Denny

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 10:56:52 pm »
Frode, those are nice looking "fantasy" style tips.  Yeah, sure, they are going to add weight to the tips where you want it least, but dey do look nice!

Thanks
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Frode

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 12:15:13 am »
Thanks guys!
Frode

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 01:41:36 am »
as i like to say, if it's good enough, don't try to fix it, you could end up breaking it.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Frode

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:20:28 pm »
as i like to say, if it's good enough, don't try to fix it, you could end up breaking it.
Sage advice, sir!
Frode