Author Topic: osage sprouts  (Read 1704 times)

Offline luke the drifter

osage sprouts
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:43 pm »
i came upon some osage orange sprout that i am pretty sure are from the seed.  has anyone had any luck transplanting sprouts?  i am really anxious to try it out.  what about training them up to be straight?  just curious.  growth rate?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage sprouts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:33:59 am »
If you are sure they are seedlings dig them with a large root ball so you don't disturb the roots at all and get them in the ground and watered in well ASAP. Have the area you plan to transplant them to ready before you dig.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:38:01 am »
I've read that there was a booming trade in osage seedlings prior to European contact.  Osage is not native in the Southeast, but apparently they were brought in and cultivated.  Talk about planning for generations!  How many of us are out there planting our great grandchildren's bowstaves?

Good luck with your transplant. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:40:39 am »
I've read that there was a booming trade in osage seedlings prior to European contact.  Osage is not native in the Southeast, but apparently they were brought in and cultivated.  Talk about planning for generations!  How many of us are out there planting our great grandchildren's bowstaves?

Good luck with your transplant. 

the wif and i are planning on buying a place in the country with a little land
and i plan o doing just such things
but not just trees for bow staves or ushes for arrows,but also fruit trees and shrubs/bushes etc
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:55:02 pm »
pat b.,

anywhere where there is not a septic line.  would you know the growth rate for these trees?