Author Topic: gaps in splices  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Blacktail

gaps in splices
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:04 pm »
i glued up some billets today and let the glue dry for awhile...after about 6 hours of drying i went over to check it and seen i have some gaps in the splice...so,what do i do now ??? i am thinking after it drys to add some wedges...i dont know if its going to work or not...any ideas...maybe glue and shavings....john

Offline sailordad

Re: gaps in splices
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »
pics pics pics
why does every one ask questions these days but never have pics so we can see what their talking aboot  ;)

john ive never done a splice,but pics would definatly help for those with the know how on this one
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »
John, if you have gaps large enough to put wedges in, then you probably need to redo you splice.
Gordon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:11:31 pm »
yeah,i thought about that...i did the cutting by hand and i wont do that again..i dont know if i can get a wedge in..but,there is one gap that i dont like..

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:34:33 pm »
Yes, pics would be good, but any major gaps would not.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:53:32 pm »
When I did my first spliced bow a while ago I had some small gaps and I just filled them with more epoxy and the bow is fine now. It probably depends largely on the amount of surface area you have left in the splice and how tight the touching parts are. What kind of splice is it?

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:11:24 am »
If your splice is sloppy before glue-up you can heat the cut splices and clamp them together so they conform for a better fit then proceed with your glue-up after they cool.

If they are already glued and sloppy, add wedges and more glue followed by flattening the back and add an extra piece to increase the glue surface area and stabilize the splice.

Here is the same handle section finished shaped.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »
hey ryoon,its a z splice...i cant do photos my computer is about dead and i am on my MOTHER-INLAWs computer yeah...ALL RIGHT ERIC..NOW WE ARE COOKING WITH CRISCO...thanks so much..john

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 03:09:02 pm »
Gap filling glue is a very important part of the splice.  If you have big gaps I would recommend cutting it again. I know it sounds a lot like work, but it beats having an explosion after you put another 20 hours in.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:59 pm »
At this stage mix glue with sawdust and fill cracks. Worked for me, In the future, when you are in doubt,Soak the ends in water(cold) , or put together and steam the joints. Then let dry . You will find the joints swell out and fill the gaps . Then glue up after it is dry. An Idea from an old bowyer. Denny