Author Topic: ideal poundage for whitetail?  (Read 13085 times)

Offline 15yearold.archer

ideal poundage for whitetail?
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:03:27 pm »
hey everyone what is the minumum poundage and ideal poundagenthat  you can hunt deer with thats if u have a good sharp tip on the right arrow and a distance of about 20/25 yards and whats the farthest distance a deer can be taken cleanly at and what poundage should thata be ?

Offline Kegan

Re: ideal poundage for whitetail?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:56 pm »
At what distance can you shoot a 240 on an NFAA round? For most folks, that's 15-20 yards, and so you shouldn't be thinking about how far you can shoot, but rahter how close can you get. Keep your shots under 20 yards and your success will go up.

As for poundage, first look to see if your locality has a legal minimum. Here in Pennsylvania it's 35# for deer and turkey. I think a well made 40# is more than enough, but personally am shooting 65#-70# these days. Then again, I'm a bit goofy ;)

What's the heaviest weight above the legal minimum you are most accurate with? That's the weight to shoot.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »
Well, first, Bow hunting is about how close you can get. the challenge! As for weight I personally would say min. 45, I could go down lower but ... I never worry about how far, I'm triying to see how "close" and undetected to make the shot!

It really is an individual choice, confidence in you equipment and skill, knowing your abilities!

Shoot as heavy, with control, Sharp broadhead, well tuned setup, and at a relaxed, unaware, animal, in the kill zone. Knowing the nature and characteristics of your game is just as important!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:39:46 pm »
Shoot as heavy as you can comfortably shoot. Don't go over what you can shoot comfortably and consistently. I like 60# but would rather see someone shoot 40# if they are more comfortable and accurate, all the weight in the world is useless if you cant hit the vitals.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Paka

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:00:19 pm »
 In Hawaii its  something like a copound 35 lbs.  recurve 40 lbs. and longbow is 45 .  I dont remember exactly but will find out  , check your local laws and good luck

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:17 pm »
Not to be arguementive keegan, But In pa. the law says 40lbs. For whitetail deer, according to game experts. I shot a small buck at 27 paces and went thru the heart and stuck in the other shoulder blade. had the deer been turn a little away from me, I am sure the arrow would have passed thru. I use a grizzle broad head single blade. The deer when 30 yards  and expired. The bow was 50 lbs. Denny

Paka

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »
 Jus checked our game laws , compound 30, recurve 35 and longbow 40 . 8)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »
Jus checked our game laws , compound 30, recurve 35 and longbow 40 . 8)

thats messed up,cant tel me a 30lb wheelie bw is more deadly than a 30lb long bow.just makes no sense there at all

here in mn. the legal draw for ANY bow is minimum 30lbs at or before full draw for large game
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline colejack3

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »
So what would be the ideal poundage for small game such as rabbits/squirrels?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:12 pm »
In Ontario the min is 40#
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:11 pm »
Compounds generally have a higher percentage of let off thats why a 30 compound vs 30 long bow will be faster more kinetic energy but Im sure one of the professors will let us know exactly...lol  ::)  I do believe it is 40lbs. minimum in NY as well  It would be wise to follow ur local game laws and if someone is worried about shooting deer on the horizon with a 30lb bow needs to re-evaluate what they are doing..ok maybe exagerated a little but as mentioned the closer the better ur chance for a clean kill I myself have takened whitetail at the furthest 47 yds and prefer 20-30 yds at the most.  Im sure Mr Howard has got kills over 60 + yds  but he did it for a living.  Anyway good luck.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40:56 pm »
I think practice is more important than poundage - since your 15, get yourself a bow that you can grow into, and it will shoot lighter at your shorter draw.When I was 16, I used my dad's 56# recurve but doubt I pulled it back enough, so It was probably shot at around 45#. I believe 45 was "legal" in Pennsylvania back then. If you can hit consistently at 40 lbs, you should be OK at 20 yards.

Remember to practice "hunting " shots. Your buddies will be shooting standing straight and tall, but they will miss if they have to crouch or turn when it counts.

Good luck, and  check that state gamebook!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »
sounds good and ya i do stand on my back deck and fire at a twenty yard decoy not to good at it yet though practice makes perfect, i hold the bow on an angle ive never really been told how to but thats okay isnt it

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »
That is called "cant".  It's holding the bow a few degrees off of straight vertical.  It's perfectly normal and, especially with selfbows that have little or no arrow shelf, almost necessary.  I suppose if you are shooting off the hand it might not be needed.  But yes, that is fine.  I shoot all my bows that way, to varying degrees.   

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Shoot light enough that you are comfortable and accurate.  If you are going to hunt, it needs to meet your department's minimum, but make sure you are accurate with whatever you use.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 11:36:05 pm »
Where I live in Western Canada, the legal minimum at your draw length is 40#.