Author Topic: first bow strange happenings  (Read 2074 times)

underceej

first bow strange happenings
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:53:54 am »
so this is my first bow and when i was working on it with my friend Parnell it was all going fine until we began to burn the back. in the process one side took a much larger curve then the other side did. I'm not sure what would have caused this any insight would be great. Also we began to bend the other side to level it out and it looks as though we got it pretty close. I guess I'm just wondering are there any ideas if I should try to curve the limbs more or begin the tillering process? if it helps the bow is 72" long made of hickory and has 1 & 3/4" limbs

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Parnell

Re: first bow strange happenings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:07:38 am »
Thanks for posting these CJ, so, whatya guys think?  We evened it up a bit with reflexing the other limb to match.  Another strange part of this, the more reflexed limb weighs much more...
Any thoughts?
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:04 am »
First off you shouldn't be heating the back. You don't want to make it brittle.  You can re-heat either or both limbs to make corrections again if needed. Give the bow a few days to rehydrate before stressing it after heat treating or straightening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

underceej

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 02:48:29 am »
sorry meant to say we were heating the belly of the bow

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:11:55 am »
Was it stored on end before you started working on it?  Sounds to me like one limb has possibly wicked some moisture up.  Could explain both the heavy limb and the different reaction to heat.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

underceej

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:55:53 pm »
no, the board was stored length wise so if anything the moisture should have pooled on the back or the belly

Offline yazoo

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:25 am »
could be the end of stave that was closer to the root,,all staves the rings are thicker and dencer on the end closest to the ground,,rings get thinner and less dence the higher up the tree you go,,,this is why you always build the bow the way it grew in the tree,, if you are making your lower limb shorter you want the root end of the stave down so your best wood will be in the lower limb,,which is stressed a little more,,,, mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »
 I think you got one limb too hot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?