Author Topic: Any rock around New River in VA?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Any rock around New River in VA?
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:32:33 am »
I'm heading up to VA tomorrow to go smallmouth fishing with my dad and brother.  Is there any chance I might find some rock while I'm up there?  I'm honestly not certain which town we'll be near, but I can find out.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Any rock around New River in VA?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:53:33 am »
We're going to be near Radford, if that helps any.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:34:13 pm »
I can't speak to what types of rock are around that area, but I had a friend who lived off a tributary of the New River and there was Flint Ridge flint and obsidian points in the fields near his home (outside Pulaski, Va).  Since the New River runs South to North into the Ohio River, that explains how non-native material was used in the points found in his area.  As close as he was to here (central NC) he had found almost no rhyolite points.  It proves that those mountains were a real barrier and the river was quite a trade route.

Good luck with the smallmouths.  I had good luck this time of year on the James River using a 4" red with blue flake plasitc worm rigged on a Slider head.  Have fun.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:29:52 pm »
Well, unfortunately no rock or fish were brought back.  Caught several dinks, but nothing to brag about.  Spend plenty of time slipping on rocks, but none looked breakable.
Cleveland, NC