Author Topic: D bow dimensions , what do you think?  (Read 4715 times)

Offline 15yearold.archer

D bow dimensions , what do you think?
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:51:44 am »
hey guys making a red oak board bow basing this off dimensions kegan gave me for a D bow just tweeked them a little im going to start with this and take off some wood after if necassary, tell me what you think,LENGTH-68 inches nock to nock with 4 inch handle centered. THIKNESS- 3/4 inch through the handle then straight taper to 3/8 inch thick nocks. WIDTH- 1 1/2 inch wide through handle then straight taper to 1/2 inch nocks. if i do this how much poundage should the bow be ? and if this wont work what will?

Offline 15yearold.archer

Re: D bow dimensions , what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:47 am »
come on guys i need some help on this one :(

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:28 am »
thanks scott im starting this bow today just one more thing you said remove wood from the starts of the limbs wich were 5/8 to the tips , just a ballpark estimate what should the tips be or is it more of a straight taper

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »
thanks alot i already got the shape out of the wood no  il start tapering the limbs ill post some picks later and tell me what you think thanks alot man

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »
Good luck on your bow!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:14:04 pm »
There is no magic number. Thickness is determined by tiller. There are buildalongs on my site  and there is one for a bend in the handle red oak board bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »
alright ill check it out and thanks alot guys its actually looking great george im gunna go with the bend in the handle on my next bow

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »
If the board you chose is heavy (dense) enough, it should be around 40-45#, of course you can later shorten it to bring it up to about 50#. If you leave it 1 1/2" for more of the limb length, you can get up to 60# without shortenning, my brother did his first board bow that way.