Author Topic: negative tiller?  (Read 3178 times)

Offline aruge

negative tiller?
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:06:41 pm »
I have two hickory self bows that I finished up in march, when the heat and humidity were low. They both measure about 66" 1 3/4" fades to mid limb to 3/8" at the tips. When I finished them and shot them in this spring they had about 1/4" more tiller on the top limb than the bottom. One pulled 60# at 28" and one pulled 50# @ 27". I just took them out to shoot a bit and discovered that the tiller was reversed. They now both have 1/4" +/- more tiller on the bottom limb. The 60# bow now pulls 50#. I keep them in the house where it is heated and air conditioned, but the RH is still about 60% in the house this summer. I live in western NY. I was going to do some retillering tomorrow, but thought I would ask if I should wait until September when conditions get better. The limbs are the same length with the arrow pass 1 1/4"above center. Thanks again for your help.   Al

Offline aruge

Re: negative tiller?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:35 pm »
I forgot to mention that the bows have 6 coats of spar urethane finish. Al

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
The bottom limb does get stressed more.  .The humidity doesnt help. I think it will pick some weight back up in the fall. can you flip it and use the top for the bottom?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline aruge

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:55:26 pm »
I thought of flipping them, but I have a lot of work in the arrow rests and grips, so it would be easier to retiller and restain. I think I'll just wait and rework them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:44:15 am »
Do you have a hot box? If you can keep your hickory bow in a more controlled environment the weight and tiller will stabilize somewhat. The humidity will be lower near a heat/ac register. Can you store it near one? 
  This could be a good experiment for the HOW TO section. Check the weight and tiller as well as the R/H and ambient temps from now until the dry times of winter. Might help you and us know when we can and shouldn't use our hickory bows.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aruge

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:32:03 am »
Now I've got them over an AC vent. They will stay their for a month or so and we'll see what happens. Maybe a hot box is in my future. Just have to figure out where to keep it.  Al

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:21:41 pm »
Yup. Been there. Now I tiller the bottom limb stiffer at full draw in my hand but just a bit. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aruge

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »
So, what I'm doing is I shortened the bottom limb about an inch. Gonna let it sit in climate control for a while and retiller the top limb. Otherwise all the little birds and deer on the bow will be upside down. When this project is done I will be sure and share it with all you patient people. Thanks,  Al    Funny, how a little piece of wood can keep a 64 year old entertained for so long, isn't it?

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:26 pm »
I agree with george, Leave a little heavier on the bottom limb in building. Denny